Sarah Williams Kittrell
b. 26 April 1807, d. 17 June 1903
- Sarah Williams Kittrell was born on 26 April 1807 in North Carolina.
- She was known as Sally.
- She married Langston James Goree, son of John Goree and Lucy Liles, on 27 November 1834 in Greene County, Alabama, or 25 November, which may have been the date of the license.
- Langston James Goree and Sarah Williams Kittrell appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1840 in Perry County, Alabama. Other (counted but unnamed) members of the household apparently included Samuel Escridge Goree, Mary Frances Goree, Anna Goree, Thomas Jewett Goree and Robert Daniel Goree. Also in the household was a second female aged 30-39, whose identity is unknown, and may have been in the household in 1830.
- Sarah Williams Kittrell became a widow at the 5 July 1853 death of her husband Langston James Goree.
- Sarah Williams Kittrell appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1860 in Dayton PO, Polk County, Texas. Other members of the household included Thomas Jewett Goree, Robert Daniel Goree, Langston James Goree Jr., Edwin King Goree, Pleasant Kittrell Goree and Susan Margaret Goree. Thomas Jewett Goree also was enumerated as a lawyer in Montgomery County.
- Robert Daniel Goree and Frances Rebecca Campbell appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1870 in Midway, Madison County, Texas, Also enumerated in the household were Young (age 13) and Mollie (age 9) Hodge, both born in Texas, probably children of a sister of Robert, most likely Anna.. Other members of the household included Sarah Williams Kittrell, Robert Campbell Goree and Lucy Bettie Kittrell.
- The following appeared on 27 April 1889 in The Galveston Daily News: (Huntsville, April 26) There is to be a dinner at Major Goree's to-day, given in honor of his aged and venerable mother, Mrs. Sarah W. Goree, who will celebrate the 82nd anniversary of her birth. Only her old lady friends will be participants in the banquet, but her numerous friends of all ages and sexes will join in wishing for the venerable lady many happy returns of the day. Mrs. Goree still retains the use of all her faculties and enjoys robust health, and is possessed of unusual activity both of mind and body. Her husband, Dr. Langston Goree, died soon after coming to Texas, in Trinity county, in 1853.
- Hugh Lawson Hayes and Susan Margaret Goree appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in Madison County, Texas, enumerated near the Whatley & Herring Convict Farm. Other members of the household included Sarah Williams Kittrell, Hugh Lawson Hayes, Sudie Goree Hayes, Mary Melissa Hayes and Herbert Thomas Hayes. Also in the household were two farm laborers. Enumerator for the area was Susan's brother Pleasant Kittrell Goree.
- Sarah Williams Kittrell died on 17 June 1903 at age 96 in Texas.
- She was interred at Midway Cemetery, Madisonville, Madison County, Texas.
- Last Edited: 30 Jun 2017
Family: Langston James Goree b. 19 September 1793, d. 5 July 1853
- Thomas Jewett Goree+ b. 14 November 1835, d. 5 March 1905
- Robert Daniel Goree+ b. 15 December 1838, d. 23 June 1923
- Langston James Goree Jr.+ b. 25 January 1841, d. 8 October 1887
- Edwin King Goree b. 11 April 1843, d. 4 April 1914
- Pleasant Kittrell Goree+ b. 22 May 1845, d. 22 April 1933
- Susan Margaret Goree+ b. 23 September 1848, d. 7 January 1931