Henry Abercrombie Finch
b. 1 May 1882, d. 16 March 1968
- Father: Henry Finch b. 5 October 1855, d. 10 May 1892
- Mother: Mary Lee Abercrombie b. 15 February 1861, d. 23 November 1949
- Henry Abercrombie Finch was born on 1 May 1882 in Winchester, Franklin County, Tennessee.
- Mary Lee Abercrombie appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in Huntsville, Walker County, Texas. Other members of the household included Henry Abercrombie Finch, Ruth Lovett Finch, H. Donald Finch, Baxter C. Finch, Thomas C. Finch, Judith S. Finch, Amelia Ann Finch and Lavinia Afton Chilton.
- He was a salesman, according to the 1900 census.
- The following appeared on 18 November 1909 in The Brownsville Daily Herald: (Huntsville, Texas, Nov. 18) In this city, on Wednesday afternoon at 5 o'clock, at the residence of the bride's mother, Mrs. Mary A. Finch, was solemnized the marriage of Miss Ruth Lovett Finch to Mr. Ralph Eskye Hollland of Brownsville, Texas. The beautiful ceremony was conducted by the Rev. Elbert P. Poole of the Baptist Church.
The Event is of unusual interest here as both parties by a residence of years are well known to the community. The young ladyis granddaughter of Col. and Mrs. L. A. Abercrombie, and this descent is a priceless legacy. No name in the history of this city has ever been more highly honored as standing for all the qualities that characterize the true gentlemen, the trusted citizen, the loyal patriot than the name of Col. L. A. Abercrombie.
The young lady, besides her inheritance of gifts, has her own peculiar graces of mind and person. By training and by choice she is eminently suited to be the gracious presiding genius of a home. Mr. Holland is known and respected among us as a young man of education, energy and talent, and of much promise in his chosen profession of law, in which he has already attained rapid success.
The wedding was private, there being present a few of the immediate relatives: Lieut. Henry A. Finch, Mr. F. B. Holland of Gainesville, Texas, Mr. Baxter Finch, Mr. and Mrs. Leonard A. Abercrombie of Houston, and Mr. and Mrs. E. B. Parker and Miss Zoe Blount also of Houston.
Mr. and Mrs. Holland are expected to arrive in Brownsville tonight. They will go tomorrow to Santa Maria where they will spend a brief honeymoon at the plantation of C. E. Lewis.
Mr. and Mrs. Holland will be at home in Borwnsville after December 10.
[A similar article appeared in The Galveston Daily News on the 21st.]
- Henry Abercrombie Finch died on 16 March 1968 at age 85 in Los Angeles County, California.
- Last Edited: 15 Jun 2012