Ella Lee Pegues
b. 23 April 1893, d. 16 December 1983
- Father: William Wesley Pegues b. 21 May 1852, d. 17 July 1904
- Mother: Ella Lee Pegues b. 14 July 1853, d. 2 March 1927
- Ella Lee Pegues was born on 23 April 1893 in Chesterfield County, South Carolina.
- She was known as Nell.
- William Wesley Pegues and Ella Lee Pegues appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in Smithville Township, Marlboro County, South Carolina. Other members of the household included Ella Lee Pegues, Carrie Maurice Pegues.
- The following appeared on 19 July 1904 in The News & Courier: (Cheraw, July 18) Mr. William Wesley Pegues, one of upper Marlboro's most prominent land owners and planters, died at his home near Pegues, N. C., yesterday morning. The interment too place to-day at eleven o'clock in New Home Church yard. Mr. Pegues was the son of the late Rev. Wesley Pegues, and was fifty-three years old. He leaves a wife and two daughters. One daughter is attending Winthrop College. He was the brother of Miss Jenny O. Pegues, Mrs. James Pegues, Major R. M. Pegues, Herbert Pegues, Walter Pegues, Frank Pegues and Shipp Pegues. A very large crowd from Cheraw attended the funeral.
- Rev. Bob Gage Murphy and Carrie Maurice Pegues appeared in the US federal census of 15 April 1910 in Tatum, Marlboro County, South Carolina. Other members of the household included Ella Lee Pegues, Ella Lee Pegues.
- Rev. Bob Gage Murphy and Carrie Maurice Pegues appeared in the US federal census of 1 January 1920 in Conway, Horry County, South Carolina. Other members of the household included Ella Lee Pegues, Bob Gage Murphy Jr. and Ella Lee Pegues.
- She was employed as a private duty nurse, according to the 1930 census.
- She married Clifton Quinn on 26 February 1926 in Prescott, Yavapai County, Arizona.
- The following appeared on 24 April 1927 in The Charlotte Observer: (Salisbury, April 23) A marriage of much interest was that of Miss Nell Pegues, of Arizona, and Clifton Quinn, of Salisbury, which too place recently. The following announcement has been received:
“Mr. and Mrs. Bob Gage Murphy announce the marriage of their sister, Miss Nell Pegues, to Clifton Quinn, on Saturday, February 26, at Prescott, Arizona.”
Mr. Quinn is the younger son of M. C. Quinn and the late Mrs. Quinn, of Sallisbury, and a brother of Mrs. A. N. Gething. For some months he has made his home in Prescott, Ariz., where he and Mrs. Quinn will continue to live. He is prominently connected throughout North Carolina, where his marriage will be learned with greatest interest.
- Clifton Quinn (and Ella Lee Pegues) appeared in the 1929 Prescott, Arizona, City Directory at 309 East Union listed as Clifton Quinn (Nell), ex-serviceman..
- Ella Lee Pegues appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1930 in Prescott, Yavapai County, Arizona, at 145 S Washington. Husband Clifton was enumerated as a patient in the VA Hospital in Prescott.
- Clifton Quinn and Ella Lee Pegues appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1940 in Phoenix, Maricopa County, Arizona, at 2010 Dayton Street.
- Ella Lee Pegues became a widow at the 1 April 1954 death of her husband Clifton Quinn.
- Ella Lee Pegues died on 16 December 1983 at age 90 in Tucson, Pima County, Arizona.
- She was interred at Evergreen Memorial Park, Tucson, Pima County, Arizona.
- Last Edited: 18 Feb 2015