Roberta C. Powell
b. circa 1851, d. between 1880 and 1900
- Father: John Lewis Powell b. circa 1807, d. 5 December 1861
- Mother: Susan G. Orgain b. 11 March 1811, d. 28 May 1852
- Roberta C. Powell was born circa 1851 in Alabama.
- John Lewis Powell appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1860 in Hayneville, Lowndes County, Alabama. Other members of the household included Roberta C. Powell, Sarah Elizabeth Powell, Rebecca Orgain Powell, Thomas Clifton Powell, Susan Ella Powell and Rebecca Gee Powell. Also in the household was James Hitchcock (39). John L. Powell was enumerator for this area.
- She married John Howell Adams, son of Felix Grundy Adams and Huldah Ann Shields, on 20 April 1869 in Marengo County, Alabama.
- John Howell Adams and Roberta C. Powell appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1870 in Linden, Marengo County, Alabama, and also domestic servant Celia Adams, age 15. They were enumerated next to Thomas Adams, age 31, apparently unrelated.
- John Howell Adams and Roberta C. Powell appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in Hempstead, Waller County, Texas. Other members of the household included Samie W. Adams and Walter Clifton Adams.
- Roberta C. Powell became a widow at the 6 November 1880 death of her husband John Howell Adams.
- The following appeared on 7 November 1880 in the Galveston Weekly News: (Hempstead, Nov. 6) About 9:30 to-night J. H. Adams, assistant city marshal, was shot by Peter Moore, an ex-State convict. The ball entered just over the left eye, breaking the skull and causing the brain to protrude from the wound. Adams is at this writing alive, but must die. The cause of the shooting is not known. Adams was an efficient officer, and leaves a wife and two children without any means of support.
- Apparently Roberta died sometime between the 1880 and 1900 censuses, possibly as early as 1880 resulting from complications of childbirth with her daughter Johnnie. In 1900 her daughter Samie was living with her father's brother George Adams, and daughter Johnnie was living with John and Lucy Meriwether in Montgomery, Alabama. Roberta's Walter was living in Brenham in 1920 and at the time of his death in 1927.
- Roberta C. Powell died between 1880 and 1900.
- Much of the information on the Ludwell Powell family has been generously provided by Rod Powell, whose has done extensive research on the Powell Family from Lowndes County, Alabama.
- Last Edited: 22 Apr 2016