Rebecca Orgain Powell
b. 18 November 1836, d. 16 December 1883
- Father: John Lewis Powell b. circa 1807, d. 5 December 1861
- Mother: Susan G. Orgain b. 11 March 1811, d. 28 May 1852
- Rebecca Orgain Powell was born on 18 November 1836 in Lowndes County, Alabama.
- John Lewis Powell and Susan G. Orgain appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1850 in Hayneville, Lowndes County, Alabama. Other members of the household included Rebecca Orgain Powell, Sarah Elizabeth Powell, Anna A. Powell, Thomas Clifton Powell and Susan Ella Powell.
- John Lewis Powell appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1860 in Hayneville, Lowndes County, Alabama. Other members of the household included Rebecca Orgain Powell, Sarah Elizabeth Powell, Thomas Clifton Powell, Susan Ella Powell, Roberta C. Powell and Rebecca Gee Powell. Also in the household was James Hitchcock (39). John L. Powell was enumerator for this area.
- After the commencement of Civil War hostilities, Thomas enlisted in the Confederate Army and served in Goldthwaite’s (Semple's) Battery. One of the Powell sisters, Rebecca Orgain Powell, gave the address and presentation of the battle flag on behalf of the women of Hayneville to the departing local unit, the Hayneville Guards, in March 1861.
- She married John B. Chapel Wright on 19 November 1861.
- Rebecca Orgain Powell died on 16 December 1883 at age 47 in Florence County, South Carolina.
- Her husband John B. Chapel Wright became a widower at her death.
- She was interred at Byrd Cemetery, Timmonsville, Florence County, South Carolina.
- Much of the information on the Ludwell Powell family has been generously provided by Rod Powell, whose has done extensive research on the Powell Family from Lowndes County, Alabama.
- Last Edited: 20 May 2015