Alfred Henry Kassner
b. 28 February 1872, d. 11 March 1938
- Father: Gustav Robert Paul Kassner b. 18 March 1842, d. 9 June 1877
- Mother: Maria Hannefelder b. 28 November 1847, d. 19 October 1912
- Alfred Henry Kassner was born on 28 February 1872 in Breslau, Germany.
- He was known as Alfred Grieger after his step-father, and on 6 November 1913 he petitioned the court in Queens County to legally change his and his family's surname to Grieger.
- Maria Hannefelder arrived in the Port of New York on 11 August 1883, accompanied by Alfred Henry Kassner, Georg Paul Oscar Kassner from Amsterdam aboard the SS Schiedam. Alfred's age is given as 11 and Georg's 12, although Georg would have been about age 15. This gives some support to the theory that Maria's age 20 was also in error.
- He married Martha Sturtzebecher, daughter of Adolf Sturtzebecher and Martha (?), on 11 February 1900 in Manhattan, New York.
- Alfred Henry Kassner appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in Queens, New York, at Main Street.
- He was a photographer, according to the 1900 census.
- The following appeared on 19 August 1909 in The Newtown Register: On Sunday the remains of Albert Grieger were cremated at the Fresh Pond Crematory. The death of Mr. Grieger occurred on Thursday at his late home, 68 Benjamin street, Corona. He had been ill for years with asthma and bronchitis. A widow and two sons are the immediate survivors. One of the sons resides on Corona avenue, while another son is a resident of Winfield. Mr. Grieger was 55 years of age.
- Adolf Sturtzebecher and Martha (?) appeared in the US federal census of 15 April 1910 in Queens, New York, at 18 Junction Avenue. Other members of the household included Alfred Henry Kassner, Martha Sturtzebecher, Martha Grieger, Ruth Grieger and Violet R. Grieger.
- He was employed by a printer as a foreman in plate printing, according to the 1910 census.
- Alfred Henry Kassner appeared in the US federal census of 1 January 1920 in Manhattan, New York, at 249 East 53rd Street lodging in the household of machinist Gustave Fiedler, and his wife and daughters were enumerated in Corona, Queens County.
- He was working with photographic proofs, according to the 1920 census.
- Alfred Henry Kassner died on 11 March 1938 at age 66 in Manhattan, New York.
- He was interred at Cedar Grove Cemetery, Flushing, Long Island, Queens County, New York.
- Last Edited: 20 Apr 2011