Joseph Francis Dexheimer
b. 9 November 1891, d. 30 November 1937
- Father: Adolph Dexheimer b. 6 February 1861
- Mother: Annie Egan b. 18 March 1861, d. 18 November 1897
- Joseph Francis Dexheimer was born on 9 November 1891 in Manhattan, New York, based on his World War I draft registration.
- It is a remote possibility that Gustav Adolph and Joseph Francis Dexhiemer were one and the same, since the birth record of Joseph has yet to be found.
- Amelia Dexheimer and Joseph Francis Dexheimer appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in Manhattan, New York, at 479 Madison Avenue living in the Roman Catholic Orphan Asylum.
- Joseph Francis Dexheimer appeared in the US federal census of 15 April 1910 in Yonkers, Westchester County, New York, at Saint Johns Rivierside Hospital, North Broadway & Ashburton Avenue.
- He was a hospital orderly, according to the 1910 census.
- He married Leona Cusick, daughter of George Cusick and Mary Catherine McGovern, in 1912 in Westchester County, New York.
- Joseph Francis Dexheimer registered for the draft on 5 June 1917 in Middlesex County, Connecticut, while living with his wife and two children in Durham, and employed there as a machinist by Russell Manufacturing Company in Middetown, having served two years as a private in the NY Infantry.
- Joseph Francis Dexheimer and Leona Cusick appeared in the US federal census of 1 January 1920 in Durham, Middlesex County, Connecticut, at New Haven Road. Other members of the household included Edith Mildred Dexheimer, Gladys Ellen Dexheimer and Lillian Gertrude Dexheimer.
- He was employed in a tin factory as a tinsmith, according to the 1920 census.
- Joseph Francis Dexheimer became a widower at the 10 December 1925 death of his wife Leona Cusick.
- Joseph Francis Dexheimer died on 30 November 1937 at age 46 or 4 December,possibly in Grasslands Hospital, Westchester County.
- He was interred at St. Mary's Cemetery, Sprain Road, Yonkers, Westchester County, New York.
- Were Gustav Adolphe and Joseph Francis Dexheimer one and the same person?
- The following appeared on 11 February 2002 in the Middlefield Town Times: Gladys Brys, 85, formerly of Birch Mill Road, Durham, wife of the late Michael Brys, died Monday, January 28, in Panama City, FL. /P/ She was born in Bronxville, NY on June 19, 1916, daughter of the late Joseph and Leona (Cusick) Dexheimer and attended the Durham Schools. /P/ Prior to her retirement, she was employed by the State of Connecticut. She was a past president of the Durham 60+ Club and a member of Durham Grange #57 and a member of the Church of the Epiphany for 40 years. /P/ She leaves a son, Myron Camozzi of Deep River; a daughter, Leona Camozzi of Middletown; a brother, Warren Heidenis of Port Charlotte, FL; seven grandchildren, four great-grandchildren and several nieces and nephews. She was predeceased by a daughter, Gloria Eddy and two sisters, Edith Fisher and Lillian Cowperthwaite. /P/ Memorial donations may be sent to Durham Ambulance Corps., PO Box 207, Durham or the Church of the Epiphany, Main Street, Durham, CT 06422.
- Last Edited: 17 Nov 2010