Abbie M. Armstrong
b. 17 April 1919
- Father: Foster James Armstrong b. 19 December 1884
- Mother: Gertrude Millicent Cleghorn b. 25 January 1888, d. 5 February 1972
- Abbie M. Armstrong was born on 17 April 1919 in New York.
- Foster James Armstrong and Gertrude Millicent Cleghorn appeared in the US federal census of 1 January 1920 in Ceres Township, McKean County, Pennsylvania, at Kings Run. Other members of the household included Abbie M. Armstrong, Genevieve Marie Armstrong, Warren B. Armstrong and Lawrence Allan Armstrong.
- Frank William Smith appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1930 in Shinglehouse, Potter County, Pennsylvania. Other members of the household included Abbie M. Armstrong, Gertrude Millicent Cleghorn, James Albert Armstrong and Jay Earl Armstrong. Gertrude Armstrong, employed as housekeeper by widowed blacksmith Frank Smith, boarding in his household with her six children.
- The following appeared on 9 February 1972 in The Patriot & Free Press: Gertrude Cleghorn Smith, 84, of 9 Pelton Court, died in Cuba Memorial Hospital Saturday, February 5, 1972, following a long illness.
Born Jan. 25, 1888 in Lewiston, she was a daughter of John. C. and Barbara Stahle Cleghorn, and had lived in Cuba 22 years. In 1931 she was married to Frank W. Smith, who survives.
Also surviving are six sons, Warren B. Armstrong, Wooster, Ohio, Laurence A. Armstrong of Canisteo, Robert Armstrong of Clermont, Pa., James Armstrong of Staunton, Va., Jay E. Armstrong of Cuba, and Joseph F. Smith of Delevan; six daughters, Mrs. Moeton Grossman of Los Angeles, Mrs. Earl Troupe of Dallas, Tex., Mrs. Joseph Lyden of Petersburg, Va., Mrs. Leslie Wakefield of Falls Church, Va., Mrs. Grover Moore of Hialeah, Fla., Mrs. William Ingalls of Cuba; a step--daughter, Mrs. Charles Wilson of Warren, Pa.
Also two sisters, Mrs. Montie Fainer of Los Angeles and Mrs. Hugh Barber of Black Creek; two brothers, Harold J. Cleghorn of Delevan and Robert B. Cleghorn of Clarksburg, [W.] Va; and 48 grandchildren and 24 great-grandchildren.
Funeral services Tuesday at the Voorhees Funeral Homer were conducted by the Rev. Alan Merrill, pastor of the Independent Congregational Church of Black Creek. Burial was in Cuba Cemetery.
Memorials may be made to Cuba Memorial Hospital Inc.
- Last Edited: 13 Feb 2014