b. 15 January 1879, d. 10 October 1918
- Bessie (?) was born on 15 January 1879 in Lubny, Russia, in the central Ukraine, or Romania.
- See Research Notes at the foot of this page for speculation about Bessie’s origins.
- Her name was recorded as Basja Budinstein on the SS Haverford passenger manifest.
- She married Benjamin Budenstein circa 1895.
- Benjamin Budenstein and Bessie (?), accompanied by Samuel Budenstein, Jacob Budenstein, Isadore Budenstein, Harry Budenstein, Simon Budenstein and Ida Budenstein, departed on 15 October 1913 from Liverpool, England, aboard the SS Haverford, bound for Philadelphia, traveling 3rd class.
- Benjamin Budenstein and Bessie (?) arrived in the Port of Philadelphia on 27 October 1913, accompanied by Samuel Budenstein, Jacob Budenstein, Isadore Budenstein, Harry Budenstein, Simon Budenstein and Ida Budenstein destined to join brother-in-law N. Najinski (or Nahan), 1646 South Seventh Street, Philadelphia (an added notation specifies given name "Nathan," who actually was a son). Cited as contact in Lubny is brother-in-law Isaak Tolzinsky.
- Bessie (?) died on 10 October 1918 at age 39 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, at 2315 South 7th Street in the epidemic of Spanish influenza. Parents' names recorded on her death certificate are Benjamin and Sarah Tolchinsky.
- Benjamin Budenstein became a widower at her death; during the flu epidemic.
- She was interred at Har Nebo Cemetery, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Research Notes: According to family lore, Bessie was a sister of Eva Nahan or possibly her husband Nissan Nahinsky/Nahan. Following are some details of evidence that continues to be far from conclusive.
• According to Bessie’s 1918 death certificate (not specifying an informant), her father was Benjamin Tolchinsky and her mother ?Kunie? Sarah Tolchinsky.
• According to Bessie’s daughter Ida, on her 1951 application for a Social Security number, her mother’s maiden name was Bessie Nahan.
• According to the 1913 SS Haverford passenger manifest, Benjamin Budenstein had a brother-in-law in Lubny named Isaak Talzinsky.
• According to Eva Nahan’s 1951 death certificate (informant son Louis Nahan), her parents were Abraham Pinhus and ?Kunie? Sarah.
• According to Nissan Nahan’s 1937 death certificate (informant son Louis Nahan), his parents were Nathan and ?Pessie?
- Last Edited: 27 Mar 2016
Family: Benjamin Budenstein b. 10 July 1868, d. 28 February 1935
- Samuel Budenstein+ b. circa 22 June 1895, d. 12 May 1932
- Isadore Budenstein b. January 1897, d. 16 October 1918
- Jacob Budenstein+ b. circa 18 January 1899, d. 18 November 1975
- Harry Budenstein+ b. 5 March 1903, d. 3 March 1987
- Simon Budenstein b. 8 July 1905, d. March 1986
- Ida Budenstein+ b. 18 October 1911, d. May 1983