Conrad August Forster

b. 28 August 1853, d. 15 March 1902
  • Conrad August Forster was born on 28 August 1853 in St. Louis, MIssouri.
  • He was known as Gus.
  • He married Minnie Lorey, daughter of William Lorey and Philippina Gauch.
  • The following appeared on 11 August 1896 in The St. Louis Republic: Harrison I. Drummond, Democratic noninee for Congress from the Eleventh Congressional District, has written a letter to Chairman Thos. J. Lyman of the Congressional Committee of that district, declining the nomination on the grounds of ill health. The letter was received yesterday. It will have the effect of making the new nomination in the eleventh District a free-for-all. . . .
         The second development was the trotting out of a dark horse in the person of Mr. C. August ("Gus") Forster, manager of the Hyde Park Brewery and brother of Police Commissioner Otto E. Forster and of C. Marquard Forster, the latter of whom ran for president of the Merchants' Exchange against C. H. Spencer last January. "Gus" Forster is now given as a straight tip for the nomination. . . .
  • The following appeared on 9 February 1898 in The St. Louis Republic: Marquard Forster celebrated the seventy-seventh anniversary of his birth last night at his home, 2803 Dickson street. The house was brilliantly illuminated for the occasion and his children and 23 grandchildren thronged the rooms and enlivened the festivities.
         Mr. Forster is one of the best-known men in St. Louis, and every day he is down at his office and is apparently as hale and hearty as he was 20 years ago; in fact, he says that he never felt bettin in his life.
         It was a purely family gathering last night. The children present were C. August Forster, C. Marquard Forster, Dr. Otto E. Forster, the Police Commissioner; Mrs. Adolph Brown and husband, Mrs. Dr. Henry Schwartz and husband, Mrs. Herman Overstolz and husband; Mrs. Herman C. Stifel and husband and the grandchildren before alluded to.
         They are musically inclined, nearly every one of the family possessing considerable talent, so that they formed quartets and sextets and sang the old-fashioned songs that their father liked so well when he was young and still admires, while the laughter of the romping children was music to his years.
         Mr. Forster has always been an energetic man and has been interested in every enterprise for the welfare of the city that has been agitated since he has been a resident of St. Louis. He has carried this energy into the commercial world, and the result is that to-day he is placed beyond the dreams of avarice.
         He expressed himself last night as thorooughly satisfied with the world and smiled happily when he looked around and saw his children happy and prosperous and possessing good health. He believed that they, too, would some day celebrate their seventy-seventh birthday, as he was doing, and perhaps many more, as he hoped to do.
         Mr. Forster was born in Nonnenhorn, Bedensee, Germany, February 8, 1821, and came to St. Louis in 1849. He left the old country during one of the numerous revolutions of that period and with him were scores of other regugees. He had been prominently identified with the revolutionists, but when it was known that the revolution was about to fail there was a general exodus of the leaders and principals, as well as many of the sympathizers, to the United States.
         St. Louis was a small but prosperous town in 1849 when Mr. Forster came here. He was engaged in the grocery business at first, but finally gave it up and went into the vinegar and later into the malt business, and then again into the brewing business. His different ventures proved successful and his business and his fortune grew with the town. As old age came on he turned his business over to his children and finally organized the Marquard Forster Real Estate Copany, of which he is president and principal stockholder.
         Mr. Forster was married June 10, 1852, to Miss Margaret Islar, who was a native of Switzerland.
  • Conrad August Forster and Minnie Lorey appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in St. Louis, Missouri, at 1438 East Grand Avenue. Other members of the household included August Frank Forster, Otto Marquard Forster, Emma J. Forster and Elsa Minnie Forster. Also in the household were two servant girls and a coachman.
  • He was a brewer, according to the 1900 census.
  • The following appeared on 19 November 1900 in The St. Louis Republic: Marquard Forster, the real estate man, who founded the Hyde Park Brewery, is seriously ill at St. Anthony's Hospital, where he was taken from his residence, No. 2803 Dickson street, last Thursday. He is the father of Dr. Otto E. Forster, C. Marquard Forster, C. August Forster and Frank Forster.
         Mr. Forster was born in Bavaria, and came to St. Louis in 1846. He embarked in the brewing business, but retired a the time of the formation of the St. Louis Brewing Association to attend to his large real estate interests.
         Mr. Forster has been suffering from a local malady for several years, but last Wednesday his case became very serious, and an operation was performed yesterday. Late last night he was resting easily and was doing as well as could be expected.
  • Conrad August Forster died on 15 March 1902 at age 48 in St. Louis, Missouri, at 1438 East Grand Avenue at his residence.
  • Minnie Lorey became a widow at his death.
  • He was interred at Bellefontaine Cemetery, St. Louis.-, Missouri.
  • The following appeared on 17 March 1902 in The [Belleville, Illinois] Daily News-Democrat: August C. Forster died at his home in St. Louis Saturday after a long illness at the age of 48 years. Deceased was married to Miss Minnie Lorey, daughter of the late Mrs. Philippine Lorey of here, who survives.
         The interment took place in St. Louis Monday afternoon from the family residence, 1438 East Grand avenue, to Bellefontaine Cemetery.
  • A short biographicl sketch of C. Marquard Forster appeared in Missouri, The Center State: 1821-1915:
         C. Marquard Forster, who was well known as vice president and director of St. Louis Brewing Association of St. Louis and as a director and member of the executive committee of the Title Guaranty Trust Company, was born in that city July 20, 1857. Marquard Forster, Sr., a native of Germany, came from Bavaria to the new world in early life and ultimately became one of the proprietors of Uhrig Brewery, continuing active in business until his death, which occurred January 10, 1901.
         C. Marquard Forster supplemented a public-school education by a course of study in Washington University of St. Louis, When a youth of nineteen he engaged in the vinegar business in connection with his father and later they conducted a vinegar and malting business at Sixth and Gratiot streets. Afterward extending the scope of their activities, they established the Hyde Park Brewery and engaged in the brewing business, with August and C. Marquard Forster as the active heads of th enterprise. They continued to direct its interests until 1889, at which time the Hyde Park Brewery was merged into the St. Louis Brewing Association, of which Mr. Forster was elected a director, while in 1900 he was chosen vice president of the corporation. He was also manager of the City Brewery, the Lafayette Brewery, the Wainright Brewery and the Hyde Park Brewery and was a very active and influential man in his field. He also became vice president and one of the directors of the Kinloch Telephone Company and was a director and member of the executive committee of the title Guaranty Trust Company. He aided in organizing the former corporation and in business circles he was recognized as a man of sound judgment, keen sagacity and indefatigable enterprise.
         In 1891 Mr. Forster was united in marriage to Miss Katie Schlosstein, a daughter of Louis Schlosstein, proprietor of the Green Tree Brewery. Her father was born in Bavaria, Germny, October 14, 1834, and there acquired his education. He afterward became an apprentice to the brewing business and after learning the trade he traveled over Europe, working as a journeyman until 1858, which, at the age of twenty-four years, he decided to try his fortune in America. In that year he arrived in St. Louis, where he secured employment in connection with the brewing business. Gradually he worked his way upward and ultimately became foreman of the Uhrig Brewery. In 1865 the Feuerbacher & Schlosstein Brewery was organized, with eventually became the Green Tree Brewery. Business was conducted along successfull lines until 1889, when the business was merged into the St. Louis Brewing Association and Mr. Schlosstein retired from active connection with the business to look after his personal interests and investments. He had become the owner of considerable real estate and was a director of the South Side Bank and vice president of the Hammer Dry Plate Company, manufacturers of camera plates. He won for himself an enviable position in the business circles of the city and by his integrity and energy, intelligently directed, gained a place of prominence among the more prosperous residents of St. OLouis. He died September 19, 1901. His daughter Katie became the wife of C. Marquard Forster, and to them were born three children, Hilda, Marquard and Paula. The family circle was broken by the hand of death when on the 21st of February, 1912, the father passed away. retired from active connection with the business to look after hs In his political views Mr. Forster had always been an earnest democrat but without aspiration for office. He figured prominently in varous social organizations, holding membership in the St. Louis, Mercantile, Glen Echo and Liederkranz Clubs. He had a legion of warm friends in the city, especially among the German-American residents of St. LOouis, and his death was mourned by a host of people. As he prospered he was most generous in assisting others who needed help and there are many who have reason to speak his name with gratitude.
  • The following appeared on 28 April 1939 in the St. Louis Star-Times: Mrs. Minnie Forster, former St. Louisan who died at the home of a daughter, Mrs. Elsa M. Buckman, at Langhorne, Pa., Wednesday, will be buried tomorrow in Bellefontaine Cemetery after services at 2:30 p. m. at Arthur J. Donelly Parlors, 3840 Lindell boulevard. Mrs. Forster, who had been residing in Belleville after moving from St. Louis in 1928, became ill three years ago while visiting her daughter and had been unable to return to the Belleville residence at 515 North Church street. She was 75 years old and the widow of C. August Forster, who died in 1902. Before her marriage she was Miss Minnie Lorey. In addition to her daughter, she is survived by two sons, Commander O. M. Forster of the United States Navy and August F. Forster.
  • Last Edited: 6 Sep 2016

Family: Minnie Lorey b. 7 May 1863, d. 26 April 1939