Dorothy A. Melcher
b. 20 October 1905, d. 16 August 1993
- Father: Robert Howard Melcher b. circa 1 December 1878, d. 5 April 1930
- Mother: Sarah Harriet Roller b. 21 September 1883, d. 3 July 1955
- Dorothy A. Melcher was born on 20 October 1905 in Port Allegany, McKean County, Pennsylvania.
- Robert Howard Melcher and Sarah Harriet Roller appeared in the US federal census of 15 April 1910 in Port Allegany, Pennsylvania, enumerated next to Sarah's parents. Other members of the household included Dorothy A. Melcher. Also in the household was daughter Florence (age 2.)
- Robert Howard Melcher and Sarah Harriet Roller appeared in the US federal census of 1 January 1920 in LIberty Township, McKean County, Pennsylvania. Other members of the household included Dorothy A. Melcher. Also in the household was son Howard R. (age 8.)
- She married John Kammerer Hoffman, son of Albert John Hoffman and Helen Kammerer, on 5 September 1926.
- John Kammerer Hoffman and Dorothy A. Melcher appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1930 in Niagara Falls, Niagara County, New York, at 2761 Lockport Street. Other members of the household included John J. Hoffman, Mary Lou Hoffman and Geraldine F. Hoffman.
- Albert John Hoffman and Helen Kammerer appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1940 in Niagara, Niagara County, New York, at 2902 Lockport Road. Other members of the household included Dorothy A. Melcher, John Kammerer Hoffman, John J. Hoffman, Mary Lou Hoffman, Geraldine F. Hoffman and Donald Robert Hoffman.
- The following appeared on 1951 in The Niagara Falls Gazette: (Colonial Village) Seaman 1/c Donald Hoffman is spending a 15-day furlough with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Hoffman, 15 Garlow road. Seaman Hoffman is serving aboard the Destroyer USS Abbott, which is now at the Philadelphia navy yard undergoing repairs.
- The following appeared on 5 July 1955 in the Niagara Falls Gazette: Funeral services for Mrs. Sarah H. Melcher, 71, of 2929 Lockport Rd., a resident of this city for the last 30 years, will be held tomorrow in Port Allegany, Pa. She died Sunday (July 3, 1955) in Mt. St. Mary's Hospital.
At the time of her death, Mrs. Melcher, widow of Robert Melcher, lived with her son, Harold Melcher. She was a native of Holland, N. Y.
In addition to her son here, she is survived by another son, Howard Melcher, Parkersburg, W. Va., and a daughter, Mrs. John K. Hoffman, Lewiston. Two sisters, Mrs. Jess Burrows, Port Allegany, and Mrs. James Newland, Bradford, Pa., 10 grandchildren and three great grandchildren also survive.
Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. tomorrow at Port Allegany.
- The following appeared on 4 September 1966 in The Niagara Falls Gazette: Mrs. Dan Lanphear, 4656 Apple Drive, Lewiston, will be hostess at a party today from 2 to 5 p.m. honoring her parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Hoffman, on the occasion of their 40th wedding anniversary.
Mr. and Mrs. Hoffman, former residents of Colonial Village, now make their home in Ashtabula, Ohio, where Mr. Hoffman was transferred by Union Carbide Corp. He is now retired since Jan. 1 after 34 years with the corporation.
Present at the party will be the couple's other three children, Mrs. Ronald Bement, North Tonawanda; Donald Hoffman, Parkersburg, W. Va; and John Hoffman, and six granddaughters.
Since retirement, Mr. and Mrs. Hoffman have traveled extensively through the United States with a travel trailer.
- Dorothy A. Melcher died on 16 August 1993 at age 87 in Niagara County, New York.
- She was interred at Niagara Falls Memorial Park Cemetery, Lewiston, Niagara County, New York.
- Last Edited: 24 Nov 2014