Robert Horton Rutland Jr.
b. 16 July 1942, d. 1 January 1972
- Father: Robert Horton Rutland b. 29 January 1914, d. 12 July 1964
- Mother: Mary Louise Torbert b. 13 March 1915, d. 30 May 2015
- Robert Horton Rutland Jr. was born on 16 July 1942 in Alexandria, Rapides Parish, Louisiana.
- During a visit to Grandmother and Granddaddy Torbert in Demopolis, about 1952, their grandchildren were photographed together.
- He was educated at Auburn University, at Auburn, at Alabama.
- Bobby and Jim Rutland share a moment during a family gathering in February 1969.
- Robert Horton Rutland Jr. died on 1 January 1972 at age 29 in Santa Cruz County, California.
- He was interred at Soquel Cemetery, Soquel, Santa Cruz County, California.
- The following appeared on 2 January 1972 in the Santa Cruz Sentinel: New Year's Eve traffic on county roads resulted in 12 accidents, one of them fatal, according to the California Highway Patrol. Six persons were arrested for drunk driving, but were not involved in any of the accidents.
Robert Horton Rutland Jr., 29, 17795 Big Basin Way, was killed in a head-on collision on Big Basin Way near Highway 9, the CHP said. The Boulder Creek attorney was a passenger in a small sedan driven by Lynne M. Hays, 23, 744 River St.
Rutland and Miss Hays were trapped in the car after it collided with an auto driven by James C. Fleming, 27, of San Francisco. They were pulled from the wreck by Boulder Creek firemen and taken to Dominican Hospital where Rutland was pronounced dead on arrival, the [California Highway Patrol] said.
Miss Hays suffered a concussion and multiple fractures, and is in serious condition in the intensive care unit, according to a hospital spokesman.
Fleming told the CHP he was in the area to visit his parents. He did not remember the mishap.
Funeral services for Rutland are pending at Irvin M. Smith and Son Mortuary, 1050 Cayuga St.
- The following appeared on 3 January 1972 in the Santa Cruz Sentinel: [Died] In Santa Cruz, Calif. January 1, 1972. Robert Horton Rutland Jr. Survived by his mother, Mrs. George Sherrill of Alabama; two brothers, George Rutland of Huntington Beach and James Rutland of Montgomery, Ala. Native of Alabama. Aged 29 years. Member of American Bar Association.
Services will be conducted at Irvin M. Smith and Sons Chapel of the Four Seasons, 1050 Cayuga Street, Monday January 3 at 4:00 p.m. Friends are respectfully invited to attend. Private inurnment in Soquel Cemetery, Soquel, California.
- Last Edited: 28 Jan 2017