Mary Louise Torbert
b. 13 March 1915, d. 30 May 2015
- Father: James Everett Torbert b. 20 February 1889, d. 29 June 1973
- Mother: Louise Beall Adams b. 20 December 1893, d. 6 February 1978
- Mary Louise Torbert was born on 13 March 1915 in Faunsdale, Marengo County, Alabama.
- A photographic portrait was made of Louise and Jim Torbert's first child, Mary Louise, about 1917.
- James Everett Torbert and Louise Beall Adams appeared in the US federal census of 1 January 1920 in Faunsdale, Marengo County, Alabama. Other members of the household included Mary Louise Torbert, Doris Torbert and Mary Louise Hopper.
- Doris and big sister Mary Louise Torbert were photographed about 1920.
- Mary Louise and Doris Torbert were photographed about 1922.
- A photographic portrait was made of Louise Torbert and daughters Doris, Evelyn and Mary Louise, about 1923.
- Torbert sisters Doris, Evelyn and Mary Louise were photographed abut 1926.
- For a short time Jim Torbert operated a drug store in Jasper, Walker County, but returned to Marengo County in 1927 as proprietor of Bailey's Drug Store on Washington Street in Demopolis. Bailey's was first established by James Lawrence Bailey, husband of James E. Torbert's father's first cousin Anna Edna Cornish. Some items from the old drugstore are treasured by his descendants.
- Louise Torbert and daughters Mary Louise, Evelyn and Doris were photographed about 1929.
- James Everett Torbert and Louise Beall Adams appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1930 in Demopolis, Marengo County, Alabama. Other members of the household included Mary Louise Torbert, Doris Torbert. Also enumerated as a lodger in the household was pharmacist William M. Cox.
- Mary Louise was photographed as a teenager in a party dress.
- Torbert sisters Evelyn, Doris and Mary Louise were photographed about 1939.
- She married Robert Horton Rutland, son of James Richard Rutland and Hulda Mary Horton, on 9 March 1940 in Demopolis, Marengo County, Alabama, by license issued the 2nd in Jefferson County, with Rev. F. E. Jordan officiating. At the time, the groom was residing at 1225 South 29th Street in Birmingham, emp0loyed by the FHA as an architectural inspector, and the bride was residing at 1749 27th Street in Ensley, employed as a cashier.
- The following appeared on 25 March 1940 in The Alabamian of Alabama College, the State College for Women, Montevallo: Recent weddings of alumae include those of: . . . Mary Louise Torbert, ex-'37, to Robert Horton Rutland of Auburn, March 14.
- Mary Louise Torbert and Robert Horton Rutland appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1940 in Birmingham, Jefferson County, Alabama, at 1225 29th Street. In 1935, he ws living in Auburn and she in Demopolis.
- She was employed as a cashier by a fire insurance company, according to the 1940 census.
- During a visit to Grandmother and Granddaddy Torbert in Demopolis, about 1952, their grandchildren were photographed together.
- Mary Louise Torbert became a widow at the 12 July 1964 death of her husband Robert Horton Rutland.
- The following appeared on 14 July 1964 in The Anniston Star: (Montgomery) Funeral services are scheduled today for Robert Horton Rutland, director of the State Building Commission and former state pole vault champion.
Rutland, a resident of Montgomery for 17 years, died unexpectedly Saturday night.
He was graduated from Auburn University in 1934 with a degree in architectural engineering. He was s Southeastern Conference pole vault champion during his senior year.
- She married George Levi Sherrill III, son of George Levi Sherrill II and Ruth Russell, on 15 February 1969 in Morgan County, Alabama.
- Bobby and Jim Rutland share a moment during a family gathering in February 1969.
- The following appeared on 3 January 1972 in the Santa Cruz Sentinel: [Died] In Santa Cruz, Calif. January 1, 1972. Robert Horton Rutland Jr. Survived by his mother, Mrs. George Sherrill of Alabama; two brothers, George Rutland of Huntington Beach and James Rutland of Montgomery, Ala. Native of Alabama. Aged 29 years. Member of American Bar Association.
Services will be conducted at Irvin M. Smith and Sons Chapel of the Four Seasons, 1050 Cayuga Street, Monday January 3 at 4:00 p.m. Friends are respectfully invited to attend. Private inurnment in Soquel Cemetery, Soquel, California.
- Mary Louise Torbert became a widow at the 18 May 1991 death of her husband George Levi Sherrill III.
- Mary Louise celebrated her 88th birthday with her sister Doris and nieces and nephews in Panama City Beach.
- Torbert sisters Doris, Mary Louise and Evelyn were photographed about 1995.
- Torbert sisters Doris, Mary Louise and Evelyn were photographed at Amy Moeller's wedding in 1997.
- Mary Louise Torbert died on 30 May 2015 at age 100 in Athens, Limestone County, Alabama.
- The following was published online by the McConnell Funeral Home: Mary Louise Sherrill, age 100, passed away peacefully asleep in her home in Athens, AL.
In order to honor her wishes, no formal services will be held in Athens. A private family service was held in Montgomery, AL.
Her gravesite at Athens City Cemetery will be updated to provide a local place for those who wish to honor her memory. Also, at her request, in lieu of flowers, a charitable donation may be made to TBN-A Place For Help, 3066 Zelda Road, #211, Montgomery, AL 36106, or any other charity of your choice that provides a better quality of life and medical services to the under-served.
- A monument at Athens City Cemetery, Athens, Limestone County, Alabama, serves as a cenotaph honoring the memory of Mary Louise Torbert Rutland Sherrill.
- Last Edited: 3 May 2017
- Charts: Descendants of ADAMS Felix Grundy & Huldah Ann Shields, Descendants of PEGUES Claudius & Marcia Saunders, Descendants of TORBERT Anthony & Margaret Simpson