James Marion McCan
b. 20 October 1834, d. 31 July 1915
- Father: James McCan b. between 1800 and 1810
- Mother: Sarah S. Viser b. say 1815, d. circa 1839
- James Marion McCan was born on 20 October 1834 in Lawrence County, Alabama.
- William Viser raised his the five children of his deceased sister Sarah J. Viser McCann.
- William Viser and Rachel Brazelton appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1850 in Walker County, Texas. Other members of the household included James Marion McCan, Catherine Elizabeth McCan, Andrew Viser McCan, Mary R. McCan and Charles Word. Also in the household were farmer Moses Ford and Charles Word (age 14).
- He married Amanda Catherine Barrett, daughter of John Whitten Barrett and Hulda Reding, on 20 January 1869 in Madison County, Texas.
- James Marion McCan became a widower at the 12 January 1915 death of his wife Amanda Catherine Barrett.
- James Marion McCan died on 31 July 1915 at age 80 in Madison County, Texas.
- For an account of his CSA service in Company B, 24th Texas Cavalry Regiment, see his profile in Karen McCann Hett's Danville Mounted Riflemen.
- Photograph from the collection of Karen McCann Hett.
- Last Edited: 19 Nov 2010
Family: Amanda Catherine Barrett b. 2 May 1849, d. 12 January 1915
- James Littleton McCann+ b. 27 May 1870, d. 8 November 1923
- Hulda McCan b. 16 November 1872, d. 19 March 1966
- Samuel Wooldridge McCan b. 11 February 1875, d. 9 March 1962
- Kenneth Nathan McCan b. 17 March 1877, d. 11 January 1899
- Minnie Ola McCan b. 22 August 1879, d. 26 October 1880
- Allie Angeline McCan b. 8 March 1881, d. 27 September 1962
- William Walter McCan b. 5 November 1884, d. November 1967
- John Reuben McCan b. 6 May 1886, d. 6 April 1965
- Benjamin Monroe McCan b. 29 November 1889, d. 1949
- Hettie M. McCan b. 11 August 1892, d. circa 1918