b. circa 1788
- Mary Steptoe was born circa 1788 in Virginia.
- She married William Watters Shepperd, son of Jacob Shepperd and Pamela Pines, say 1808.
- Mary S Shepherd purchased from Joseph Lindley 29.9 acres in the Joseph Lindley Survey for $182, general warranty deed dated October 1847, recorded in Montgomery County, Texas, on 12 February 1851.
- Mary Steptoe became a widow at the circa 1849 death of her husband William Watters Shepperd.
- Wesley A. Shepperd and Mary Ann (?) appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1850 in Montgomery County, Texas. Other members of the household included Mary Steptoe, Augustine C. Shepperd and Medora Stewart.
- On Thursday, 9 January 1851, Green Wood recorded in his plantation daily account book: "Bought 130 Acres of land of Mrs Shepard Adjoining my S.E. corner on the branch at $3.50 per Acre."
- Green Wood purchased from M. S. Shepperd 129.90 acres in the Joseph Lindley Survey, general warranty deed dated 12 January 1851, recorded in Montgomery County, Texas, 12 February 1851.
- Among the Greenwood plantation records: $200 On the first day of May next I promise to pay Mary S. Shepperd on order two hundred Dollars for value received, January 21st 1851 [signed] Green Wood.
- On Saturday, 29 May 1852, Green Wood recorded in his plantation daily account book: "Gave Mr Lindley my Note due $650 & one for $142 one day after date, May 29th 1852, the above [$142] note for money to pay Mrs Shepard by her Son Augustine."
- Last Edited: 29 May 2012