William Arthur Harford
b. 13 May 1869, d. 26 March 1948
- Father: George M. Harford b. April 1834
- Mother: Jane Brown
- William Arthur Harford was born on 13 May 1869 in Guernsey County, Ohio.
- The following appeared on 19 May 1897 in The Dallas Morning News: Licensed to Wed . . . Wm. A. Harford and Johnnie May Newton.
And on the following day, Licensed to Wed . . . Wm. A. Harford and Johnnie May Thurston.
- He married Johnnie May Newton, daughter of Jeremiah T. Newton and Frances L. (?), in May 1897.
- William Arthur Harford and Johnnie May Newton appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in Dallas, Texas, at 182 Washington Avenue enumerated near the household of May's father's brother "Dock" Pegues. Other members of the household included George Arthur Harford and George M. Harford.
- He was employed as a bookkeeper by a coal and grain business, according to the 1900 census.
- The following appeared on 26 May 1901 in The Dallas Morning News: George Arthur Harford, aged 3 years, 2 months, died Friday at 182 Washington avenue. Death resulted from scarlet fever.
- The following appeared on 5 November 1905 in The Galveston Daily News Sunday Magazine Supplement: Our Portrait Gallery of Bright, Attractive Young Texans . . . Francis Loyuise Harford, Daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. A. Harford, Dallas, Tex.
- The following appeared on 27 August 1907 in The Galveston Daily News: A hard fought legal battrle between father and mother for the custody of a little girl occupied almost the entire morning in the Sixty-First District Court. The case is that of William A. Harford against Johnnie May Harford.
Suit was originally filed by the husband for divorce and a cross bill was filed by the wife, and although grounds for a divorce were difficult to find the mutual antagonism of the two was such that the court granted the divorce. The custody of the child, a little flaxen-haired, blue-eyed girl of tender age, who was present in the court, was awarded to the mother because of the age and sex of the child, but the case was held on the docket subject to any further or supplemental orders which the court may see fit to render. . . .
Sixty-First District Court. . . . William A. Harford vs. Johnnie Mary [sic] Harford; divorce granted and custody of child awarded to mother.
- He officially witnessed the death of Johnnie May Newton on 1 January 1926 at 2309 Main in Houston, Harris County, Texas; of a pistol shot wound.
- Adrian Peterler Norris and Frances Louise Harford appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1940 in Houston, Harris County, Texas, at 3443 Wichita Street. Other members of the household included William Arthur Harford. In 1935 William Harford was living in Overton, Rusk County.
- William Arthur Harford died on 26 March 1948 at age 78 in Houston, Harris County, Texas, at 3443 Wichita at his residence . His death was officially witnessed by Frances Louise Harford.
- He was interred at Forest Park Cemetery, Houston, Harris County, Texas, in the Garden of Gethsemane. Informant was Mrs. Louise Harford.
- Last Edited: 16 Feb 2015
Family: Johnnie May Newton b. 24 May 1880, d. 1 January 1926
- George Arthur Harford b. 14 March 1898, d. 24 May 1901
- Frances Louise Harford+ b. 30 June 1903, d. 15 July 1982