Walter C. Arthur
b. circa 1832
- Father: Walter Arthur b. circa 1793
- Mother: Jean Clarke b. circa 1795, d. circa 1878
- Walter C. Arthur was born circa 1832 in Scotland.
- He married Catherine Mitchell on 25 April 1851 in Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland, at Low Church.
- Walter C. Arthur and Catherine Mitchell arrived in the Port of New York on 6 June 1853, accompanied by Jean Clarke and Elizabeth Arthur aboard the packet ship Statira Morse from Glasgow, carrying 321 passengers (burthen 581 tons, Master J. G. Lawton). Allowing for what likely are some recording errors, it appears that Walter's sisters Jane/Jeanie and Mary/Catherine were traveling with them, as well as infant John who appears to have been a twin of infant Elizabeth.
- He served as Quartermaster of the Fourth Michigan Cavalry Regiment, organized in Detroit and mustered into service 29 August 1862. In 1865 he was promoted by brevet to the rank of major and lieutenant colonel of volunteers.
- Last Edited: 22 Sep 2014
Family: Catherine Mitchell b. circa 1832
- Elizabeth Arthur b. 22 February 1853
- David Carter Arthur+ b. March 1860, d. 23 March 1951