Emma Lou Thomas
b. circa 2 January 1863, d. 6 June 1936
- Father: Charles Henry Thomas b. circa 1834, d. 12 June 1862
- Mother: Amanda Eliza McCaleb b. circa 1840
- Emma Lou Thomas was born circa 2 January 1863 in Texas.
- Benjamin L. Wright and Amanda Eliza McCaleb appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1870 in Calvert PO, Robertson County, Texas. Other members of the household included Emma Lou Thomas, William S. Wright, William Henry Thomas, Emily Abbott and Charles A. Abbott. Eliza's children from her first marriage are identified as Thomas and Emma Wright.
- Benjamin L. Wright and Amanda Eliza McCaleb appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in Robertson County, Texas. Other members of the household included Emma Lou Thomas, John Meeks Wright, Kate E. Wright, Mary Zill Wright, Benjamin Boone Wright, George McCaleb Wright, Marion Adam Dowdy and William Henry Thomas.
- She married Marion Adam Dowdy on 23 March 1881 in Robertson County, Texas.
- Emma Lou Thomas became a widow at the 4 January 1909 death of her husband Marion Adam Dowdy.
- Emma Lou Thomas died on 6 June 1936 in Merkel, Taylor County, Texas.
- She was interred at Rose Hill Cemetery, Merkel, Taylor County, Texas.
- The following appeared on 7 June 1936 in The Abilene Morning Reporter-News: (Merkel, June 6) Mrs. Emma Lou Dowdy, who died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. W. C. Matthews, in Mulberry Canyon Friday night, was interred in Rose Hill cemetery here Saturday, following funeral service in the First Baptist church. Rev. C. R. Joyner, pastor, conducted the service. Mrs. Dowdy had been a member of the Baptist church since 1895.
Mrs. Dowdy was born in Montgomery county in 1862, marrying Adam Dowdy of Robertson county in 1881. The couple moved to Merkel in 1905, later settling in Mulberry Canyon.
Survivors include two children, Mrs. Matthews, and C. I. Dowdy of Fort Worth; a brother, William Thomas of Franklin; two half brothers, Ben Wright of Franklin and George Wright of the state of Colorado; a half sister, Mrs. Mary Leaman of Trent; six grandchildren and two great grandchildren. Mr. Dowdy died 27 years ago.
Mr. and Mrs. D. M. Matthews, parents of W. C. Matthews, son-in-law of Mrs. Dowdy both succumbed last Sunday, death coming to the couple within a 17-hour period.
- Last Edited: 24 Jun 2013