Charles Henry Herr Jr.
b. 5 December 1915, d. 9 June 2005
- Father: Charles Henry Herr b. 5 May 1888, d. 11 December 1972
- Mother: Caroline Josephine Schmermund b. 28 January 1891, d. 28 November 1972
- Charles Henry Herr Jr. was born on 5 December 1915 in St. Louis, Missouri.
- Charles Henry Herr and Caroline Josephine Schmermund appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1930 in St. Louis, Missouri, at 5222 Devonshire Avenue. Other members of the household included Charles Henry Herr Jr., William Frederick Schmermund. Also in the household were children Dorothy (15), Eugene (1), Helen (5) and Richard (1) Herr, and Charles' mother Elizabeth Herr (67), not yet recorded.
- Charles Henry Herr Jr. died on 9 June 2005 at age 89 in Alta Loma, San Bernardino County, California.
- He was interred at Sunset Memorial Park and Mausoleum, Afton, St. Louis County, Missouri.
- The following appeared on 16 June 2005 in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Charles Henry Herr, Jr., 89, passed away June 9, 2005 in Rancho Cucamonga, California. Chuck was born in St. Louis on December 5, 1915 and was a resident of Upland and Rancho Cucamonga , CA, for the past 18 years. He graduated from Cleveland High School and attended Washington University in St. Louis and was a transmission design engineer for Allis Chalmers Tractor Company in Springfield, IL and Caterpillar Tractor Company in Peoria, IL. Chuck was a member of Southampton Presbyterian when he lived in St. Louis and, most recently an active member of Northkirk Presbyterian Church in Rancho Cucamonga, CA. He enjoyed photography, wood working, traveling, and automobiles. His true love was his family and the many friends who became extended family. Chuck is survived by his wife of 66 years, Jeane Herr of Rancho Cucamonga, CA; his sons, Thomas Herr (Eleanor) of Rancho Cucamonga, CA and Richard Herr of Buffalo, NY; his sisters, Dorothy Gassman of St. Louis and Helen Benner of Ames, IA; his brothers, Eugene Herr of St. Louis and Richard Herr of Chardon, OH; his grandchildren, Heather Pfeil (Brad), Erik Herr (Brandi) and Paul Herr (Vera); and his great-granddaughter, Rachel Pfeil. A memorial service will be held Saturday, June 18, 2005 at 10:00 a.m. at Northkirk Presbyterian Church in California. A local memorial service and interment will be held Monday, June 20 at 10:00 a.m. at Sunset Memorial Park, 10180 Gravois Road in St. Louis. Memorial contributions in memory of Chuck Herr may be made to Northkirk Presbyterian Church, 9101 19th St., Rancho Cucamonga, California 91701.
- The following appeared on 16 June 2005 in The Peoria Journal Star: Charles Henry Herr Jr., 89, of Rancho Cucamonga, Calif., formerly of Peoria, died Thursday, June 9, 2005, in Rancho Cucamonga.
Born Dec. 5, 1915, in St. Louis to Charles H. and Caroline J. Schmermund Herr, he married Jeane Fotsch. She survives.
Also surviving are two sons, Thomas (and Eleanor) of Rancho Cucamonga and Richard of Buffalo, N.Y; two sisters, Dorothy Gassman of St. Louis and Helen Benner of Ames, Iowa; two brothers, Eugene of St. Louis and Richard of Chardon, Ohio; three grandchildren; and one great-granddaughter.
He was a transmission design engineer for Allis Chalmers Tractor Co. in Springfield and Caterpillar Inc.
He was a longtime member of First Presbyterian Church in Peoria, where he served as an elder.
He also was an active member of Northkirk Presbyterian Church in Rancho Cucamonga, where a memorial service will be at 10 a.m. Saturday. A graveside memorial service will be at 10 a.m. Monday at Sunset Memorial Park in St. Louis. Cremation will be accorded.
Memorials to Northkirk Presbyterian Church, 9101 19th St., Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91701.
- Last Edited: 20 Oct 2011