Audrey D. Montgomery
b. 28 November 1906, d. 6 March 1996
- Father: Allie Hampton Montgomery b. 15 February 1878, d. 13 February 1964
- Mother: Martha Belle Dean b. 14 January 1877, d. 9 November 1956
- Audrey D. Montgomery was born on 28 November 1906 in Louisiana.
- Allie Hampton Montgomery and Martha Belle Dean appeared in the US federal census of 15 April 1910 in Harris County, Texas. Other members of the household included Audrey D. Montgomery, Ruby D. Montgomery, Jennie Mae Montgomery, Allen Crosland Montgomery and Josephine Olivette Montgomery. Fifteen boarders also were enumerated in the household.
- Allie Hampton Montgomery and Martha Belle Dean appeared in the US federal census of 1 January 1920 in Benton, Bossier Parish, Louisiana. Other members of the household included Audrey D. Montgomery, Jennie Mae Montgomery, Allen Crosland Montgomery, Josephine Olivette Montgomery, A. Harold Montgomery, Imogene Montgomery and Roberta G. Montgomery.
- She married Thomas Lillard Rodes circa 1926.
- Thomas Lillard Rodes and Audrey D. Montgomery appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1930 in Bossier City, Bossier Parish, Louisiana, at 505 Colquitt.
- The following appeared on 15 November 1956 in The Ruston Leader: Last rites were held Sunday for Mrs. A. H. Montgomery, 79, of Benton, La., mother of Harold Montgomery of Ruston and Doyline.
Mrs. Montgomery, wife of the well-known retired Benton farmer, A. H. Montgomery, died at her home in Benton, Thursday night following a lengthy illness.
Funeral services were held at 2 o'clock Sunday afternoon at the Benton Methodist Church with Rev. L. A. Carrington, pastor, officiating. Burial was in Forest Park Cemetery.
Mrs. Montgomery was born in Cleburne County, Ala., but had lived in Benton where she was a member of the Methodist Church, for the past 40 years.
In addition to her husband and her son here, she is survived by six daughters, Mrs. W. C. Ivey, Mrs. T. L. Rodes and Miss Olivette Montgomery, all of Benton, Mrs. W. S. Jones of Shreveport, Mrs. W. T. Steele of Memphis and Mrs. Henry Morgan of Lake Charles; one other son, Allen C. Montgomery of Bossier City; two brothers, J. J. Dean of Houston, Texas, and J. S. Dean of San Antonio; four sisters, Mrs. R. E. Cleveland, Jr., and Mrs. E. N. Colson, both of Iola, Texas, Mrs. R. C. Conlee of Kilgore, Texas, and Mrs. Rory Gentry of Houston, nine grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.
- Audrey D. Montgomery became a widow at the 28 January 1978 death of her husband Thomas Lillard Rodes.
- The following appeared on 6 May 1982 in the Baton Rouge State Times Advocate: Ruby Montgomery Ivey Died Tuesday, May 4, 1982, at Doctor's Memorial Hospital. She was born June [sic] 14, 1899, in Iola, Texas. Visiting from 6 to 10 p.m. Thursday at Osborn Funeral Home, 3631 Southern Ave., Shreveport. Religions services at the funeral home at 10 a.m. Friday, conducted by the Rev. Linn Richardson and the Rev. C. B. Krumnow. Burial in Forest Park Cemetery, Shreveport. Survived by a daughter, Mrs. George N. (Martha Jane) Grammer; four grandchildren, Walter Clyde, Little Rock, Ark; George Neal Jr., Todd Montgomery and Jane Ivey, all of Baton Rouge; four sisters, Mrs. W. S. Jones, Shreveport, Mrs. T. L. Rodes, Benton, Mrs. Henry Morgan, Lake Charles, and Mrs. W. P. Steele, Memphis, Tenn; and a brother, former Sen. Harold Montgomery, Doyline. Preceded in death by her husband, Walter Clyde Ivey; a sister, Olivette Montgomery; and a brother, Crosslen Montgomery. Grandsons and nephews will serve as pallbearers. She was a graduate of Louisiana Normal College, Natchitoches, and taught in Louisiana public schools. She was a 68-year resident of Benton where she was Postmistress for 35 years. She was active in the DAR and served as treasurer of the UDC in Bossier Parish for many years. She was a member of Benton Methodist Church. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be sent to Benton Methodist Church, the Arthritis Foundation or other charities.
- The SSDI lists Benton, Bossier Parish, Louisiana, as the last residence of record of Audrey D. Montgomery.
- Audrey D. Montgomery died on 6 March 1996 at age 89.
- She was interred at Forest Park Cemetery (East), 2700 St. Vincent Avenue, Shreveport, Caddo Parish, Louisiana.
- Last Edited: 3 Feb 2014