Helen Frances Davis
b. circa 1914
- Helen Frances Davis was born circa 1914.
- She married Homer Lagrand Wood, son of Homer LeGrand Wood and Lucille Burdick, circa 15 September 1947 in Shelby County, Tennessee, with Harry M. Davis officiating.. License dated 28 August, bondsman N. Aylesworth..
- She officially witnessed the death of Homer Lagrand Wood on 28 June 1959 in Memphis, Shelby County, Tennessee.
- Helen Frances Davis became a widow at the 28 June 1959 death of her husband Homer Lagrand Wood.
- The following appeared on 29 June 1959 in the Memphis Press-Scimitar: Homer Lagrand (Bugs) Wood Jr., who had been ill for some time, was driven to Central Christian Church about 9:30 a.m. yesterday by his wife. She let him out and he entered the church to attend the Men's Bible Class. After she had parked the car she returned to the church to find that he had suffered a fatal heart attack. He was dead on arrival at Baptist Hospital about 10:10 a.m. He was 46.
Mr. Wood, a lifelong resident of Memphis, was a star football player at South Side High School, where he graduated in 1932. He served as a sergeant in the Field Artillery in Europe during World War II, and was awarded the bronze star.
A salesman for Williams Shade and Awning Co. the past four years he lived at 476 Simpson, and was a member of Central Christian Church and Angerona Masonic Lodge 168.
He leaves his wife, Mrs. Helen Davis Wood; two sons, Terry and Billy Wood, and his father and stepmother, Mr. and Mrs. H. L. Wood Sr., all of Memphis. His father is manager of the Minnow Shop on S. Bellevue and well known to Memphis sportsmen.
Services at 10:30 a.m. tomorrow at National Funeral Home, Dr. James D. Sill officiating. Burial in Mt. Vernon Gardens.
- Last Edited: 28 Feb 2016
- Charts: Descendants of ABERCROMBIE Charles & Edwina Malinda "Dicey" Booth, Descendants of LeGRAND John & Margaret Chambers, Descendants of WOOD William & Lydia Ballentine