Elizabeth Sue Norman
b. 2 December 1923, d. 27 August 1988
- Father: Aubrey Norman Smith b. 11 September 1894, d. 24 June 1961
- Mother: Mary Glenn Tatum b. 18 November 1893, d. 22 October 1992
- Elizabeth Sue Norman was born on 2 December 1923 in Dothan, Houston County, Alabama.
- She was known as Betty.
- Aubrey Norman Smith and Mary Glenn Tatum appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1930 in New Iberia, Iberia Parish, Louisiana, at Duperier Avenue. Other members of the household included Elizabeth Sue Norman, Nanette Norman. Also in the household was one female domestic servant.
- Aubrey Norman Smith and Mary Glenn Tatum appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1940 in Lake Charles, Calcasieu Parish, Louisiana, at 739 Pujo. Other members of the household included Elizabeth Sue Norman, Nanette Norman and Leslie Aubrey Norman Jr.
- She married Harwood Douglas Ponton, son of Harwood D. Ponton and Evelyn Lee Campbell, in June 1943 in Lake Charles, Calcasieu Parish, Louisiana, at 739 Pujo Street, the home of the bride. Although a fall wedding in California had been planned, the groom, serving in the US Army Air Corps, was able to fly home unexpectedly, so the happy event was put together in about 24 hours.
- The following appeared on 25 June 1961 in the Baton Rouge Sunday Advocate: (Lake Charles) Leslie A. Norman, 67, a Lake Charles building contractor, died at 4 p.m. Saturday in a local hospital after a long illness.
Funeral services are set for 4 p.m. Sunday in the Burke-Hammer Funeral Home. Burial will be in Highland Memory Gardens. Masonic rites will be conducted at the graveside.
Norman was a former road building contractor and built a number of state highways. He also at one time operated an automobile agency in Lake Charles.
He was president of Norman and Co., Inc. Survivors include his widow, one son, Leslie Jr. of New Orleans; two daughters, Mrs. H. D. Ponton of Baton Rouge and Mrs. R. T. Lantrip of Houston; a niece, Mrs. Bill Watson of Lake Charles, and seven grandchildren.
- Elizabeth Sue Norman died on 27 August 1988 at age 64 in Baton Rouge, East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana, at The Louisiana Guest House, 7414 Sumrall Drive.
- Her husband Harwood Douglas Ponton became a widower at her death.
- She was interred at Greenoaks Memorial Park, Baton Rouge, East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana.
- The following appeared on 28 August 1988 in The Baton Rouge Sunday Advocate: Elizabeth Norman "Betty" Ponton. Died 2:55 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 27, 1988, at Baton Rouge Guest House. She was 64, a native of Dothan, Ala., and resident of Baton Rouge. She was a Dillard's saleslady. Visiting at Rabenhorst Funeral Home East, 11000 Florida Blvd., 3:30 to 7 p.m. Sunday, and noon to religious services at 2 p.m. Monday, conducted by the Rev. J. Phillip Woodland. Burial in Greenoaks Memorial Park. Survived by husband, Harwood D. Ponton; mother, Mary Glenn Tatum Norman, Lake Charles; a daughter and son-in-law, Bettyand Richard S. Thomason, Aiken, S.C; a sister, Nanette Norman Lantrip, Houston, Texas; a brother, Leslie Aubry Norman Jr., New Orleans; and three grandchildren, Laura Leigh Thomason, Susan Elizabeth Thomason and Katherine Ann Thomason, all of Aiken. Preceded in death by father, Leslie A. Norman. She was a member of University United Methodist Church.
- Last Edited: 7 Jun 2015
- Charts: Descendants of ABERCROMBIE Charles & Edwina Malinda "Dicey" Booth, Descendants of CAMPBELL Archibald & Rebecca Kirk, Descendants of WOOD William & Lydia Ballentine