Ella Wood Ponton
b. 20 July 1913, d. 12 September 1997
- Father: Harwood D. Ponton b. 28 February 1883, d. 23 April 1961
- Mother: Evelyn Lee Campbell b. 24 June 1884, d. 29 January 1960
- Ella Wood Ponton was born on 20 July 1913 in Harris County, Texas.
- Harwood D. Ponton and Evelyn Lee Campbell appeared in the US federal census of 1 January 1920 in Lake Charles, Calcasieu Parish, Louisiana. Other members of the household included Ella Wood Ponton, Harwood Douglas Ponton, Douglas McQueen Campbell and Ella Abercrombie Wood.
- Harwood D. Ponton and Evelyn Lee Campbell appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1930 in Lake Charles, Calcasieu Parish, Louisiana, at 917 South Division Street. Other members of the household included Ella Wood Ponton, Harwood Douglas Ponton.
- A photograph was made in 1938 of "Doc" Ponton with daughter Ella and wife Evelyn.
- Harwood D. Ponton and Evelyn Lee Campbell appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1940 in Lake Charles, Calcasieu Parish, Louisiana, at 917 South Division Street. Other members of the household included Ella Wood Ponton, Harwood Douglas Ponton. It is noted that son Harwood was absent from the household.
- The following appeared on 29 January 1960 in the Lake Charles American Press: Mrs. Evelyn Ponton of 917 South Division street, wife of Harwood D. Ponton, died at 7:35 a.m. today at the Lake Charles Memorial hospital. She had lived in Lake Charles for the past 41 years.
The body is at the Hixson funeral home, where Christian Science services will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday with Leader Frank Ferrar officiating.
She was a member of the First Church of Christian Scientists here and the Mother Church of Boston, Mass. She was active for many years in local civic and welfare work and served in many organizations.
Survivors are her husband; one daughter, Ella Wood Ponton of Lake Charles; one son, Harwood D. Ponton Jr., of Baton Rouge, and one granddaughter.
- At the time of her death Ella Wood Ponton was living in Baton Rouge, East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana, at The Louisiana Guest House, 7414 Sumrall Drive where she had resided for six years.
- Ella Wood Ponton died on 12 September 1997 at age 84.
- The following appeared on 14 September 1997 in The Baton Rouge Sunday Advocate: Ella Wood Ponton. A resident of the Guest House for the past six years, she died Friday, Sept. 12, 1997. She was 85 and a native of Lake Charles. Visiting at Rabenhorst Funeral Home East, 11000 Florida Blvd., 2 p.m Monday until memorial services at 3 p.m. Survived by a brother, Harwood D. Ponton, Baton Rouge; a niece, Elizabeth Ponton Thomason, Aiken, S.C; and three great-nieces, Laura Thomason and Susan Gawlik Thomason, both of Charlotte, N.C., and Katherine Thomason, Chapel Hill, N.C. Preceded in death by parents, H.D. and Evelyn Campbell Ponton of Lake Charles. She was a member of the Christian Science Church of Lake Charles.
- Last Edited: 17 Dec 2014