Charles Truman Greenhill
b. 30 October 1922, d. 4 November 2009
- Father: Charles Cross Greenhill b. 27 July 1880, d. 16 September 1929
- Mother: Ida Elizabeth Johnson b. 16 October 1881, d. 19 August 1975
- Charles Truman Greenhill was born on 30 October 1922 in Elkhart, Anderson County, Texas. At the time of his birth, his mother was residing in Jefferson, Marion County.
- He was known as Truman.
- Ida Elizabeth Johnson appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1930 in Marion County, Texas. Other members of the household included Charles Truman Greenhill, Carl Evans Greenhill.
- He married Wilma Maurine McDonald, daughter of Gus McDonald and Arrie Belle Whatley.
- He officially witnessed the death of Ida Elizabeth Johnson on 19 August 1975 in Jefferson, Marion County, Texas.
- Charles Truman Greenhill became a widower at the 30 October 2009 death of his wife Wilma Maurine McDonald.
- Charles Truman Greenhill died on 4 November 2009 at age 87 in Longview, Gregg County, Texas, at Beacon Hospice at Margaret's House.
- He was interred at Berea Cemetery, Jefferson, Marion County, Texas.
- The following appeared on 6 November 2009 in the Longview News-Journal: (Jefferson) Graveside services for Mr. Charles Truman Greenhill, Sr., 87, of Jefferson, will be held at 11 a.m. Sunday, November 8, 2009, in the Berea Cemetery in Jefferson with Pastor. John Taylor officiating. Interment will follow services under the direction of Haggard Funeral Home of Jefferson.
Visitation will be held from 5-7 p.m. Saturday, November 7, 2009, at the funeral home.
Mr. Greenhill passed away Wednesday, November 4, 2009, at Beacon Hospice at Margaret's House in Longview. He was born October 30, 1922 in Elkhart, Texas to Charlie Cross Greenhill & Ida Elizabeth Johnson Greenhill. Mr. Greenhill was a World War II Army veteran. While serving in the war he received the Good Conduct Medal, Purple Heart, EAME Service Ribbon and two Bronze Service Stars and he spent eight months of hospital recovery in England from his wounds. He was a member of the Berea Seventh Day Adventist Church in Jefferson and loved spending time with his family and friends. He was preceded in death by his parents and his wife, Maurine Greenhill.
He is survived by three sons, Charles Truman Greenhill Jr., and wife Georgia, Larry Allen Greenhill and wife Anna and Rickie Waydale Greenhill and wife Janette all of Jefferson; one brother, Carl Greenhill; five grandchildren; nine great-grandchildren; and a host of nieces, nephews and friends.
A special thanks to Beacon Hospice at Margaret's House for their wonderful loving care.
In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to the Jefferson Christian Academy, 3060 FM 728, Jefferson, Texas 75657.
- Last Edited: 2 May 2015