John Hill Lewis
b. 16 March 1864, d. 22 March 1911
- Father: Dixon Hall Lewis Jr. b. 12 February 1834, d. 9 April 1899
- Mother: Sarah Ann Hill b. 19 September 1840, d. 21 November 1904
- John Hill Lewis was born on 16 March 1864 in Texas.
- Dixon Hall Lewis Jr. and Sarah Ann Hill appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1870 in Lynchburg PO, Harris County, Texas, and three domestic servants.. Other members of the household included John Hill Lewis, Hamlin F. Lewis, Sarah Elmore Lewis, Mary Hill Lewis and Susan Elizabeth Elmore.
- Dixon Hall Lewis Jr. and Sarah Ann Hill appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in San Jacinto County, Texas. Other members of the household included John Hill Lewis, Sarah Elmore Lewis, Mary Hill Lewis, Dixon Hall Lewis III, Laura S. Lewis and Claride B. Lewis.
- He married Ermine Leclaire Fisher, daughter of John Fletcher Fisher and Elizabeth Caroline Tinsley, on 12 December 1894.
- John Hill Lewis and Ermine Leclaire Fisher appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in Maynard, San Jacinto County, Texas, enumerated near the households of John's cousins William and John Hill. Other members of the household included Sarah Elizabeth Lewis, John Archer Lewis and Ermine A. Lewis.
- He was a clerk, according to the 1900 census.
- John Hill Lewis became a widower at the 1 November 1909 death of his wife Ermine Leclaire Fisher.
- John Calvin Hill and Matilda Agnes Robinson appeared in the US federal census of 15 April 1910 in San Jacinto County, Texas. Other members of the household included John Hill Lewis, Julia A. Hill, James Calhoun Hill and Frank Pickens Hill. Also in the household was son Robert L. (age 26). John Hill Lewis was a son of John's sister Sarah.
- He was employed as a clerk in a country store, according to the 1910 census.
- At the time of his death John Hill Lewis was living in New Waverly, Walker County, Texas.
- John Hill Lewis died on 22 March 1911 at age 47 in Galveston, Texas, at St. Mary's Infirmary or the 21st. . His death was officially witnessed by Dixon Hall Lewis III.
- He was interred at Waverly Cemetery, Waverly, Walker (later San Jacinto) County, Texas.
- Last Edited: 21 Jan 2016
Family: Ermine Leclaire Fisher b. 10 April 1875, d. 1 November 1909
- Sarah Elizabeth Lewis b. 22 October 1895, d. 21 November 1987
- John Archer Lewis b. 26 December 1897, d. 26 October 1975
- Ermine A. Lewis b. 11 February 1900, d. 24 May 1993
- Agnes Elmore Lewis b. 15 April 1902, d. 5 January 1980
- Lela Claride Lewis b. 10 April 1904, d. 26 August 1979
- Dixon Hall Lewis b. 10 June 1907, d. 28 March 1988
- William Fisher Lewis b. 15 October 1909, d. April 1910