John Garland Pegues
b. 5 November 1876, d. 10 July 1946
- Father: Philip Alston Pegues b. 25 October 1835, d. 25 January 1915
- Mother: Mary Eliza Brown b. 26 November 1842, d. 1 June 1924
- John Garland Pegues was born on 5 November 1876 in Texas.
- Philip Alston Pegues and Mary Eliza Brown appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in Gregg County, Texas. Other members of the household included John Garland Pegues, Lela Francis Pegues, Emma Eliza Pegues, Philip Thomas Pegues, Gus F. Pegues and Mollie Brown Pegues. Also in the household were Mary's sisters M. G. Brown (age 30) and Ava Brown (3).
Note: The northeastern part of Rusk County became Gregg County in 1873.
- Philip Alston Pegues and Mary Eliza Brown appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in Longview, Gregg County, Texas. Other members of the household included John Garland Pegues, Philip Thomas Pegues, Fannie Marshall, Mollie Brown Pegues and Della Keys Pegues.
- He was employed as a bookkeeper at the ice plant, according to the 1900 census.
- He married Martha Elizabeth Rain, daughter of Fannie Ely, circa 1904.
- John Garland Pegues and Martha Elizabeth Rain appeared in the US federal census of 15 April 1910 in Longview, Gregg County, Texas.
- He was manager of an ice plant, according to the 1910 census.
- The following appeared on 3 June 1924 in The Dallas Morning News: (Longview, Texas, June 2) Mrs. P. A. Pegues, 82 years old, died at the home of her daughter, ten miles west of here on the Dixie Highway. She was one of the pioneers of this section, having settled at Danville, nine miles south of Longview, seventy-five years ago. She was born at Buckingham, Va., Nov. 24, 1842, and married P. A. Pegues in 1859. Mr. Pegues was a merchant here for a number of years before he died in 1915. The couple celebrated their diamond anniversary in 1909.
Mrs. Pegues is survived by six children, Mrs. P. W. Sandifur, Longview; Mrs. H. C. Thompson, Ada, Ok; P. T. Pegues, Dallas; Mrs. J. A. Bass and J. G. Pegues, Longview, and Mrs. C. E. Basham of Wichita Falls. The funeral was held Monday with burial in Grace Hill Cemetery here, the Rev. R. M. Hall, her pastor, officiating.
- John Garland Pegues became a widower at the 26 June 1946 death of his wife Martha Elizabeth Rain.
- John Garland Pegues died on 10 July 1946 at age 69 in Gregg County, Texas.
- He was interred at Memory Park Cemetery, Longview, Harrison County, Texas.
- Last Edited: 11 Feb 2015