William Crosland Pegues
b. 3 September 1838, d. 14 January 1899
- Father: Christopher James Pegues b. 22 May 1807, d. 18 August 1860
- Mother: Ann Elizabeth Cosnahan b. 2 February 1810, d. 27 September 1875
- William Crosland Pegues was born on 3 September 1838 in Alabama.
- Christopher James Pegues and Ann Elizabeth Cosnahan appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1850 in Old Spring Hill, Marengo County, Alabama. Other members of the household included William Crosland Pegues, Rebecca Cosnahan Pegues, James Bartholomew Pegues, Jane Elizabeth Pegues, Mary Ramsey Pegues and Edward Christopher Harder.
- William Crosland Pegues attended the University of Alabama, 1857-1858, in the sophomore class at time of withdrawal.
- He was educated at the University of Alabama, at Tuscaloosa, at Alabama.
- Christopher James Pegues and Ann Elizabeth Cosnahan appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1860 in Linden, Marengo County, Alabama. Other members of the household included William Crosland Pegues, Jane Elizabeth Pegues, Mary Ramsey Pegues and Edward Christopher Harder.
- He was studying medicine, according to the 1860 census.
- He married Queteria Decima Hartley, daughter of Thomas L. Hartley and Eliza Banks, on 1 May 1861 at Spring Hill, Marengo County, Alabama.
- He served in Company D, 11th Alabama Infantry, CSA.
- William Crosland Pegues became a widower at the 11 September 1864 death of his wife Queteria Decima Hartley.
- He relocated to Grimes County, Texas, circa June 1865.
- He married Junietta Rosalee Whittington, daughter of Robert G. Whittington and Eugenia Eliza Matilda Williams, on 16 July 1878 in Grimes County, Texas, by license issued in Grimes County on the 12th, with A. W. Smith officiating.
- William Crosland Pegues and Junietta Rosalee Whittington appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in Grimes County, Texas. Other members of the household included Christopher James Pegues, Allie Hampton Montgomery and Jennie Decima Pegues.
- He was a farmer, according to the 1880 census.
- W. C. Pegues served as a Grimes County Justice of the Peace, Precinct 2, 1886-1892.
- William Crosland Pegues died on 14 January 1899 at age 60 in Texas.
- His wife Junietta Rosalee Whittington became a widow at his death.
- He was interred at Zion Methodist Cemetery, Iola, Grimes County, Texas.
- Last Edited: 5 Feb 2014
Family 1: Queteria Decima Hartley b. 25 October 1844, d. 11 September 1864
- Christopher James Pegues+ b. 27 February 1863, d. 2 November 1929
Family 2: Junietta Rosalee Whittington b. 8 December 1854, d. 12 February 1926
- Jennie Decima Pegues b. 5 December 1879, d. 29 November 1898
- Ruby May Pegues b. 9 April 1881, d. 30 November 1898
- Lila Pegues+ b. 21 May 1883, d. 21 January 1965
- Richard Jones Pegues b. 24 March 1885, d. 29 March 1885
- Mary Zula Pegues b. 21 March 1886, d. 19 February 1911
- Willie Grey Pegues+ b. 4 March 1889
- William Clyde Pegues b. 24 March 1894, d. 18 March 1948