Maureen Alvarice Ward
b. 13 January 1920, d. 15 December 2011
- Father: Will Jay Ward b. 25 July 1885, d. 7 November 1974
- Mother: Dink Etta Teague b. circa 2 November 1894, d. 4 November 1948
- Maureen Alvarice Ward was born on 13 January 1920 in Texas.
- A photographic portrait was made of Maureen Ward as a young child.
- Will Jay Ward and Dink Etta Teague appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1930 in Richards, Grimes County, Texas. Other members of the household included Maureen Alvarice Ward, Lee Ola Ward, Mary Hazel Ward and John Oscar Ward.
- Ward and Whitfield cousins were photographed about 1931 in Richards.
- Will Jay Ward and Dink Etta Teague appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1940 in Richards, Grimes County, Texas. Other members of the household included Maureen Alvarice Ward.
- She was a waitress in her mother's cafe, according to the 1940 census.
- About 1942, a snapshot was taken of Maureen Ward and her friend Lucy.
- She married Horace Marlin Chatham, son of William Albert Chatham and Nettie Neo Hunt, on 7 February 1945.
- She officially witnessed the death of Will Jay Ward on 7 November 1974 at Baytown Medical Center Hospital in Baytown, Harris County, Texas.
- Maureen Alvarice Ward became a widow at the 1 October 1994 death of her husband Horace Marlin Chatham.
- The following appeared on 28 March 2003 in The Sealy News: Funeral services for John Ward, 85, of Sealy, were held Thursday, March 20, at First United Methodist Church in Sealy, with the Rev. Bill Webb officiating. Interment was at Fairview Cemetery in Richards. Serving as pallbearers were Mike Ward, Vernon Ela, David Ela, Ed Saha, Joe Termina, Jim Billings, and Timothy Palmer, with honoray pallbearers being W.P. Christie, Harold McKee and Bob Vail. Born and raised in Richards, John Oscar Ward was the son of Jay Ward and Dink Teague Ward. He graduated from high school in Richards and attended the University of Houston during the Depression. On Dec. 21, 1968, John and the former Thelmarie "Tim" Blakeway were married in Fulshear. He was a member of First United Methodist Church in Sealy, a lifetime member of the American Legion, a 32nd degree Mason, past president of the Sealy Rotary, and a mentor in the Raising Academic Performance (RAP) program. John was retired from To-Tal Pipeline of Wales and Scotland, where he was purchaser/engineer. He was a world traveler; he especially loved Indonesia and could speak the language. John had a green thumb, and could make anything grow. John Oscar Ward died Sunday, March 16, in Houston. He is survived by his wife; sons and daughters-in-law, John Michael and Sharon Ward, of Bryan, David Ela of Florence, Ariz., and Vernon and Linell Ela of Orlando, Fla; sister Maureen Chatham, of Baytown; seven grandchildren, 10 great-grandchildren, and a number of nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his parents and two sisters, Hazel Wells and Lee Ola Cook. Memorial contributions may be made to First United Methodist Church, 200 Atchison, Sealy, TX 77474, or the RAP program, P.O. Box 1112, Bellville, TX 77418.
- Maureen and distant cousin Bill Wood are pictured enjoying a visit in June 2004.
- Maureen Alvarice Ward died on 15 December 2011 at age 91.
- She was interred at Earthman Memory Gardens, Baytown, Harris County, Texas.
- The following appeared on 18 December 2011 in The Baytown Sun: Maureen A. Chatham, 91, of Baytown, TX went to be with her Lord and Savior on Thursday, December 15, 2011.
Maureen was born on January 13, 1920 in Richards, Texas. After graduating from high school she worked as a bookkeeper in accounts payable for Cresses Dept. Store, J.C. Penney's and Gibson's Discount Store, where she retired. She loved to spend time in her yard with her flowers and shrubs. Maureen was a member of the Methodist Church in Richards, Texas.
Maureen was preceded in death by her parents, W. J. and Dink Ward, her husband, H.M. Chatham, and siblings, Lolo Cook, Hazel Wells, J.O. Ward and Billie Ward.
She is survived by her son Ricky Chatham and wife Jenny, a granddaughter, Rebekkah Chatham, Nephews, Michael Chatham, Benny Cook and Michael Ward, nieces, Sandra Hughes, Barbara Cloutier and Judy Flynn, as well as many other family and adopted family and friends.
The family will receive friends from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday, December 18, 2011, at Earthman Funeral Home Chapel, 3919 Garth Road, Baytown, Texas 77521.
Funeral Services will be held at 10 a.m. on Monday, December 19, 2011 at Earthman Funeral Home Chapel. Burial will follow immediately at Earthman Memory Gardens Cemetery, 8624 Garth Rd., Baytown, TX 77521.
- Last Edited: 27 Nov 2013
- Charts: Descendants of TEAGUE Joshua