Margaret Wilson Ross
b. 10 March 1909, d. 16 August 2003
- Father: James Somerville Ross II b. 11 March 1862, d. 1943
- Mother: Emma Weber b. 31 August 1874, d. 25 June 1966
- Margaret Wilson Ross was born on 10 March 1909 in Niagara County, New York.
- She married John William Andrews, son of Unknown (?), on 5 October 1929 in Niagara Falls, Niagara County, New York, at 729 Willow Avenue, and Margaret's sister Jessie married John's brother Clifford.
- The following appeared in The Niagara Falls Gazette: A quiet but pretty wedding was solemnized on Saturday, October 5th at 2:30 p. m. at the home of Mr. and Mrs. James S. Ross of 729 Willow avenue, when their eldest daughter, Margaret Wilson, was united in mrriage to Mr. John W. Andrews. The Rev. Mr. Brezing officiated.
The bride, who was given away by her father, was charming in a gown of white chiffon with over blouse of real lace. In her hair she wore a flower of brilliats and she carried bride's roses and lilies. The maid of honor, Miss Marie Youngman, and the bridesmaid, Miss Jessie Ross, sister of the bride, wore gowns of Royal Blue Canton crepe, princess style, trimmed with cream lace. They carried bouquets of garden flowers. The bride's mother wore tan Canton crepe and the mother of the groom wore navy blue georgette.
The groom was attended by his brother, Mr. Clifford Andrews.
Mr. Arthur Lindsey sang Herbert's immortal "Ah! Sweet Mystery of Life" and "I Love You Truly." Miss Ruth Greenwald accompanied at the piano.
The house was decorated in autumn leaves and garden flowers beautifully arranged by Sophie Tucker and Mimi.
A reception and supper followed the ceremony and the bride's table, which was set for twelve, was centered by a huge wedding cake and yellow candles in silver candlesticks.
The out-of-town guests were Mrs. Fred S. Weber and daughter, Grace Alma of Kenmore.
Previous to the wedding showers were given for the bride by Mrs. E. T. Lammerts, Mrs. Max Greenwald and Miss Marie Youngman.
After a honeymoon trip through Eastern Canada, Mr. and Mrs. John W. Andrews will reside in Seventy-seventh street.
- The following appeared on 22 June 1943 in The Niagara Falls Gazette: James S. Ross, 81 years old, of 729 Willow avenue, died at his home at 3:15 o'clock this morning. He had been ill for six months and suffered a heart attack on May 31.
Born in Leith, Ont., Mr. Ross came here from California 50 years ago. At one time he was employed by the American Sales Book company and later was engaged as a gardener.
He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Emma Ross, a son, Corporal Robert W. Ross, of Drew Field, Tampa, Fla; three daughters, Mrs. John Andrews, Mrs. Clifford Andrews and Mrs. Leo Samuels, all of this city; a sister, Mrs. Mary Burns, of Maroneck, [sic] N. Y. and eight grandchildren.
Private funeral services will be held at the Gridley funeral home tomorrow, with the Rev. Galbraith Hall Todd officiating.
- The following appeared on 25 June 1966 in The Niagara Falls Gazette: Mrs. Emma (Weber) Ross, 91, of 729 Willow Ave., died today (June 25, 1966) in Memorial Hospital after a short illness.
She was born at Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ont., and lived in this city for the last 88 years.
She was a member of Zion Lutheran Church.
She was the widow of the late James S. Ross, who died in 1943. She is survived by one son, Robert W. Ross, this city, and three daughters, Mrs. Leo (Ruth) Samuels, this city; Mrs. Clifford (Jessie) Andrews, Sanborn, and Mrs. John (Margaret) Andrews of Warsaw, N. Y.
Two sisters, Mrs. Edwin Lammerts and Mrs. Max Greenwald, both of this city; eight grandchildren and 23 great-grandchildren also survive.
Funeral services will be held Monday at 3 p.m. at the Redanz Funeral Home. Rev. Paul R. Swank, pastor of Zion Lutheran Church, will officiate.
Burial will be in Oakwood Cemetery.
The family will be present from 2 to 5 and 7 to 9 p.m. Sunday.
- Margaret Wilson Ross became a widow at the 23 June 1990 death of her husband John William Andrews.
- Margaret Wilson Ross died on 16 August 2003 at age 94 in Buffalo, Erie County, New York.
- She was interred at Niagara Falls Memorial Park Cemetery, Lewiston, Niagara County, New York.
- Last Edited: 11 Feb 2014