b. 30 May 1861, d. 1 January 1943
- Father: Johannes Balz b. 24 July 1823, d. 23 March 1886
- Mother: Catharina (?) b. 11 October 1821, d. 14 November 1888
- Wilhelm Balz married Louisa (?)
- He was born on 30 May 1861 in Pennsylvania.
- Johannes Balz and Catharina (?), appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1870 in Schleswig, Manitowoc County, Wisconsin, living not far from Nicolaus Balz.. Other members of the household included Wilhelm Balz, Nicolaus Balz, Catharine Balz, John Balz and Henry Balz.
- Nicolaus Balz and Elisabeth Manz appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in New Holstein, Calumet County, Wisconsin, at Village of Altona. Other members of the household included Wilhelm Balz, Katharine Balz and Maria Balz. William is also enumerated in his parents' household.
- Johannes Balz and Catharina (?) appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in Schleswig, Wisconsin. Other members of the household included Wilhelm Balz, John Balz, Henry Balz and Catharine Balz. Granddaughter "Catie Balz," age 3, has not yet been identified. William is also enumerated in the household of his brother Nicolaus.
- He was a chair? maker, according to the 1880 census. He was enumerated in 1880 both with his parents and with his brother Nicolaus.
- The following appeared in a local newspaper: Mrs. Katherine Leonard died at her home in the Town of Rhine near here Wednesday, September 28, at 7:15 a. m. at the age of 72. /P/ Funeral services will be held on Saturday, October 1, at 1:30 from the home in Town Rhine and at 2:00 from the Evangelical Church in Town Rhine; Rev. Paul Thomas conducting the services. Interment will be in the Rockville cemetery. /P/ Mrs. Leonard, nee Katherine Balz, was born in Whitehaven, Pennsylvania, on March 24, 1856, and was the daughter of John and Katherine Balz. At the age of two, the family moved to
Pittsburgh, where they resided for several years. At the age of eight Mrs. Leonard came to Wisconsin with her parents, and settled with them on a farm in the Town of Schleswig. /P/ On May 16, 1882, she was married to John Leonard, and the couple
settled down on a farm in the Town of Rhine. Her husband preceded her in death on November 14, 1933, as did one son, Walter, who died May 15, 1929. /P/ She is survived by a son, John, at home on the family homestead, and two daughters, Mrs. Walter Bub, of the Town Rhine, and Louise, at home. There are in addition, three grandchildren and one brother, William Balz, of Garnet, to mourn her death.
- Wilhelm Balz died on 1 January 1943 at age 81.
- He was interred at Schleswig Cemetery, Schleswig Township, Manitowoc County, Wisconsin.
- Last Edited: 15 Apr 2010