b. 11 October 1821, d. 14 November 1888
- Catharina (?) was born on 11 October 1821 in Hessen according to a transcription of her grave marker, but a later date would be more consistent with her age recorded in the censuses.
- She married Johannes Balz say 1847.
- Johannes Balz and Catharina (?) arrived in the Port of New York on 2 September 1854, accompanied by Nicolaus Balz, Jacob Balz and Maria Balz aboard the American Ship Rattler from Le Havre. Also traveling with them was Anna Maria Balz, age 17, likely Johannes' sister.
- Johannes Balz and Catharina (?) appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1860 in Peebles, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, living not far from Nicolaus Balz.. Other members of the household included Jacob Balz, Nicolaus Balz and Catharine Balz.
- Johannes Balz and Catharina (?), appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1870 in Schleswig, Manitowoc County, Wisconsin, living not far from Nicolaus Balz.. Other members of the household included Nicolaus Balz, Catharine Balz, John Balz, Wilhelm Balz and Henry Balz.
- Johannes Balz and Catharina (?) appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in Schleswig, Wisconsin. Other members of the household included John Balz, Wilhelm Balz, Henry Balz and Catharine Balz. Granddaughter "Catie Balz," age 3, has not yet been identified. William is also enumerated in the household of his brother Nicolaus.
- Catharina (?) became a widow at the 23 March 1886 death of her husband Johannes Balz.
- Catharina (?) died on 14 November 1888 at age 67.
- She was interred at Schleswig Cemetery, Schleswig Township, Manitowoc County, Wisconsin.
- The following appeared in a local newspaper: Mrs. Katherine Leonard died at her home in the Town of Rhine near here Wednesday, September 28, at 7:15 a. m. at the age of 72. /P/ Funeral services will be held on Saturday, October 1, at 1:30 from the home in Town Rhine and at 2:00 from the Evangelical Church in Town Rhine; Rev. Paul Thomas conducting the services. Interment will be in the Rockville cemetery. /P/ Mrs. Leonard, nee Katherine Balz, was born in Whitehaven, Pennsylvania, on March 24, 1856, and was the daughter of John and Katherine Balz. At the age of two, the family moved to
Pittsburgh, where they resided for several years. At the age of eight Mrs. Leonard came to Wisconsin with her parents, and settled with them on a farm in the Town of Schleswig. /P/ On May 16, 1882, she was married to John Leonard, and the couple
settled down on a farm in the Town of Rhine. Her husband preceded her in death on November 14, 1933, as did one son, Walter, who died May 15, 1929. /P/ She is survived by a son, John, at home on the family homestead, and two daughters, Mrs. Walter Bub, of the Town Rhine, and Louise, at home. There are in addition, three grandchildren and one brother, William Balz, of Garnet, to mourn her death.
- Last Edited: 25 Apr 2010
Family: Johannes Balz b. 24 July 1823, d. 23 March 1886
- Nicolaus Balz+ b. circa 1849
- Jacob Balz b. circa 1851, d. between 1854 and 1859
- Maria Balz b. circa September 1853
- Catharine Balz+ b. 24 March 1856, d. 28 September 1938
- Jacob Balz b. circa 1859
- John Balz b. 9 June 1859, d. 6 August 1885
- Wilhelm Balz b. 30 May 1861, d. 1 January 1943
- Henry Balz b. 23 March 1864, d. 27 August 1907