Kenneth E. Hoffman
b. 20 October 1906, d. 5 November 1950
- Father: Herbert Peter Hoffman b. 7 February 1876, d. 7 October 1924
- Mother: Bird C. Greenleaf b. February 1876, d. 17 December 1952
- Kenneth E. Hoffman was born on 20 October 1906 in New York.
- Herbert Peter Hoffman and Bird C. Greenleaf appeared in the US federal census of 15 April 1910 in Niagara Falls, Niagara County, New York, at 717 Linwood Avenue. Other members of the household included Kenneth E. Hoffman, Clarence E. Hoffman. Also in the household was Earl Nolan (age 16), identified as a son but perhaps Bird's nephew (?), also enumerated as the son of Edward and Elizabeth Nolan in Monroe County, Michigan.
- The following appeared on 25 April 1924 in the Niagara Falls Gazette: Kenneth Hoffman, 18 years old, an apprentice in the employ of C. J. Woolcock, plumber, was the victim of a peculiar accident yesterday while working on a sewer connection at a residence on Maple avenue. Hoffman was alone in the excavation, which was filled with water to the depth of several inches. Suddenly the ground on which he was standing began to give beneath his feet. It was not until he had sunk into the soft, sandy earth to a depth above his knees that he realized that he was sinking into a bed of quick-sand. He was unable to extricate himself and was forced to call for help.
None of the other men were in hearing distance at the time and Mr. Hoffman had sunk to a depth above his waist despite frantic efforts to get out, before his cries were heard and other workmen came to his assistance. It was necessary to place a rope about Mr. Hoffman's body and hitch it to an automobile to pull him out of the sand bed. He was uninjured, and after getting out was none the worse for his unusual experience.
Another happening of something the same nature occurred last week when Sylvester Gormley, engaged in excavation work at the new Cleveland avenue school, was buried under an avalanche of earth, when the sides of the ditch in which he was working caved in on him. Mathew Gorman, of Tenth street, was working with him at the time but escaped the big spill of earth, which toppled over on Mr. Gormley. Mr. Gormley was badly bruised but was dug out by fellow workmen before he was more seriously injured.
- Kenneth E. Hoffman died on 5 November 1950 at age 44 in Niagara Falls, Niagara County, New York, at Memorial Hospital.
- He was interred at Riverdale Cemetery, Lewiston, Niagara County, New York.
- The following appeared on 6 November 1950 in The Niagara Falls Gazette: Kenneth E. Hoffman, 44, a resident and employe of the Prospect house, died suddenly at Memorial hospital yesterday as the result of a heart attack.
Funeral services for Mr. Hoffman will be held at the Gridley Funeral home at 1:15 p.m. on Wednesday. The Rev. Graham D. Childs will officiate at the services.
Mr. Hoffman was born in Niagara Falls and had lived in this city all his life.
Surviving are his mother, Mrs. Bird Hoffman, this city; a son, Eugene, living in California and a brother, Clarence E. Hoffman, Colonial Village.
Burial will be in Riverdale cemetery.
- Last Edited: 26 Jan 2015
- Eugene Henry Hoffman b. 14 May 1930, d. 23 February 1992