b. 11 June 1864
- Father: Marcus Zeifang b. 27 August 1833, d. 17 March 1913
- Mother: Ursula Stähle b. 19 December 1834, d. 5 January 1917
- Catherine Zeifang was born on 11 June 1864 in New York.
- She was baptized/christened on 10 July 1864 at Zion Lutheran Church in Niagara, Niagara Falls, New York, sponsored by Melchior Kilberer and Ursula Stahle.
- Marcus Zeifang and Ursula Stähle, appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1870 in Suspension Bridge PO, Niagara County, New York. Other members of the household included Catherine Zeifang, Friedrich Stähle, Ursula Zeifang and Rosina Zeifang.
- Marcus Zeifang appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in Suspension Bridge, Niagara County, New York. Other members of the household included Catherine Zeifang, Ursula Zeifang, Rosina Zeifang, Bernard Zeifang, Melchior Zeifang and Julia Zeifang. Lucy Zeifang was enumerated twice in 1880, both with her family and as a servant in James Hollenbeck's household.
- She was a sponsor at the baptism/christening of Florence Violet Hollenbeck on 12 September 1886 at Zion Lutheran Church in Niagara Falls, Niagara County, New York.
- She married John Mumford circa 1893.
- The following appeared on 17 March 1913 in The Niagara Falls Gazette: After an illness of several months, Marcus Zeifang, one of the city's oldest and most respected German residents, passed away at his home, No. 737 Pierce avenue, at 10 o'clock this morning, at the advanced age of 79 years. Death was due to pneumonia and a complication of diseases from which he had been a long and patient sufferer.
Born in Wurtemburg, Germany, August 27, 1833, Mr. Zeifang came to this country with his wife, June 12, 1860, and settled in the then village of Suspension Bridge. For more than 30 years he was a flagman at the Cleveland avenue crossing of the Erie, being retired about two years ago.
In 1864, he became an Odd Fellow, affiliating with Niagra Falls Lodge No. 81, I. O. O. F., and was next to the oldest member of the order, in Niagara Falls, the oldest being Matthew Fink. He was also a devout member of the Zion Lutheran church.
Mr. and Mrs. Zeifang had been married about a year when they arrived in this country, and throughout the fifty-four years of their wedded life, had never been separated longer than twenty-four house. Mrs. Zeifang has been ill for the past several weeks, and her death is now almost momentarily expected.
Seven children, three sons and four daughters survive, besides the widow. They are Bernard, Fred and Patrolman Melchior Zeifang, Mrts. John Mumford and Mrs. Rose Seitz, of this city, and Mrs. Julia Stevens, wife of the aviator, now in Porto Rico, and Mrs. Charles J. Evans, of Buffalo. A brother, Bernard Zeifang, an attache of the German government, also survives. Arrangements for the funeral have not been completed.
- The following appeared on 20 December 1915 in The Niagara Falls Gazette: Mrs. J. Mumford of 737 Pierce avenue delightfully entertained a number of friends yesterday afternoon in honor of the 81st birthday anniversary of her mother, Mrs. M. Zeifang. The afternoon was spent singing German hymns and songs, and a number of selections were given on the Victrola. Luncheon was served, the table being centered with a large birthday cake, lighted with eighty-one candles. Just as the guests were about to be seated, Mrs. Zeifang received a telegram from her son and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. Leo Stevens of New York, congratulating her on this anniversary and regretting that they were unable to be present. Mrs. Zeifang received many lovely gifts. The out-of-town guest was Mrs. C. J. Evans of Buffalo.
- Melchior Zeifang and Margaret Ann Crossett appeared in the US federal census of 1 January 1920 in Niagara Falls, Niagara County, New York, at 1312 Willow Avenue. Other members of the household included Catherine Zeifang, Melville J. Zeifang and Jessie Crossett. Also in the household was one male boarder.
- Melchior Zeifang and Margaret Ann Crossett appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1930 in Niagara Falls, Niagara County, New York, at 1608 Eighth Street. Other members of the household included Catherine Zeifang, Melville J. Zeifang.
- Melchior Zeifang and Margaret Ann Crossett appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1940 in Niagara Falls, Niagara County, New York, at 1606 Eighth Street. Other members of the household included Catherine Zeifang, Melville J. Zeifang. Also in the household were four male lodgers.
- Last Edited: 21 Apr 2017