Wallace J. Cleghorn
b. 21 July 1890, d. 15 May 1955
- Father: John C. Cleghorn b. 29 September 1854, d. 2 May 1941
- Mother: Barbara Stahle b. 27 April 1868, d. 11 June 1962
- Wallace J. Cleghorn was born on 21 July 1890 in Lewiston, Niagara County, New York.
- John C. Cleghorn and Barbara Stahle appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in Lewiston, New York. Other members of the household included Wallace J. Cleghorn, Gertrude Millicent Cleghorn, Ruth Cleghorn, Harold John Cleghorn, Lawrence Edwin Cleghorn and Oliver M. Cleghorn.
- John C. Cleghorn and Barbara Stahle appeared in the US federal census of 15 April 1910 in New Hudson, Allegany County, New York. Other members of the household included Wallace J. Cleghorn, Ruth Cleghorn, Harold John Cleghorn, Lawrence Edwin Cleghorn, Oliver M. Cleghorn, Walter Lloyd Cleghorn and Robert B. Cleghorn.
- He was working on the farm, according to the 1910 census.
- John C. Cleghorn and Barbara Stahle appeared in the New York state census of 1 June 1915 in New Hudson, New York. Other members of the household included Wallace J. Cleghorn, Harold John Cleghorn, Lawrence Edwin Cleghorn, Oliver M. Cleghorn, Walter Lloyd Cleghorn, Robert B. Cleghorn and Ida A. Cleghorn.
- He was working on the farm, according to the 1915 census.
- Wallace J. Cleghorn registered for the draft on 5 June 1917 in New Hudson, New York, while living in Black Rock and farming in New Hudson.
- The following appeared on 8 May 1941 in The Patriot & Free Press: After an illness of a number of months John C. Cleghorn, a farmer who had resided in the vicinity of Black Creek for many years, died at his home on Jackson Hill last Friday. The funeral was held there Sunday, conducted by the Rev. Clarence B. Gilbert of Cuba Baptist Church with burial in Cuba Cemetery.
Mr. Cleghorn was born at Lewiston, Sept. 29, 1854, the son of Robert and Margaret Gow Cleghorn, who were natives of Scotland. On April 27, 1887, he was married at Lewiston to Barbara Stahle of Suspension Bridge. They lived at Lewiston and Lockport before removing to this county 35 years ago.
Nine children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Cleghorn: Gertrude, Mrs. Frank Smith, Shinglehouse, Pa; Wallace, Black Creek; Ruth, wife of Dr. E. M. Fainer of Los Angeles, Cal; Harold J., Yorkshire; Laurence E., Rochester; Oliver M., at home; Walter L. (deceased); Robert B., Olean; Ida, Mrs. Hugh Barber, Black Creek. Mr. Cleghorn also leaves 22 grandchildren and three great-grandchildren. Five brothers and sisters survive, the eldest being Mrs. Ida Hewitt of Niagara Falls, 92, who attended the funeral; two of Mr. Cleghorn's family live in Iowa and two in California.
On April 27 Mr. and Mrs. Cleghorn observed their 54th wedding anniversary, when all their living children and families, except the daughter residing in California, were present.
- He was interred at Cuba Cemetery, Cuba, Allegany County, New York.
- Wallace J. Cleghorn died on 15 May 1955 at age 64 in Cuba, Allegany County, New York, at Cuba Memorial Hospital.
- The following appeared on 19 May 1955 in The Patriot & Free Press: Wallace J. Cleghorn passed away Sunday, May 15, 1955, at Cuba Memorial Hospital following a long and painful illness. Born at Lewiston, N. Y. July 21, 1890, he was the son of John C. and Barbara Stahle Cleghorn, and had spent most of his life in the area.
- Last Edited: 13 Feb 2014