Jean Marie Kenific
b. 27 May 1926
- Father: Joseph Augustine Kenific b. 6 August 1897, d. 2 September 1980
- Mother: Emma Margaret Hurley b. 24 November 1895, d. 13 July 1968
- Jean Marie Kenific was born on 27 May 1926 in Niagara County, New York.
- Elisabetha A. Weiler appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1930 in Niagara Falls, Niagara County, New York, at 1001 Ontario Avenue. Other members of the household included Jean Marie Kenific, Joseph Augustine Kenific and Emma Margaret Hurley.
- Joseph Augustine Kenific and Emma Margaret Hurley appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1940 in Niagara Falls, Niagara County, New York, at 2408 South Avenue. Other members of the household included Jean Marie Kenific, Elisabetha A. Weiler.
- She married Donald Richard Crowell, son of Burton A. Crowell, on 15 February 1947 in Niagara Falls, Niagara County, New York, at Sacred Heart Church, with The Rev. Edward P. Kenific, uncle of the bride, officiating.
- The following appeared on 18 February 1947 in The Niagara Falls Gazette: Sacred Heart church was the scene on Saturday morning of the marriage of Miss Jean Kenific, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph A. Kenific, South avenue, and Mr. Donald Richard Crowell, son of Mr. and Mrs. Burton A. Crowell, Lincoln place. The Rev. Edward P. Kenific, uncle of the bride, officiated at the ceremony.
Escorted to the altar by her father, the bride wore a gown of white satin and net. . .
Miss Julianne Keenan was maid of honor, wearoing a pink gown. . .
Mr. Robert F. Kenific, brother of the bride, was the best man and ushers were Mr. Clark M. Else and Mr. Frederick Blue.
The church was decorated with spring flowers.
. . . Following the ceremony, a wedding breakfast was served at the Samovar. Later, a reception was held at the Prospect house.
The couple left on a wedding trip to New York City, the bride traveling in a light blue gabardine suit with black accessories.
- The following appeared on 14 July 1947 in The Niagara Falls Gazette: [Born at Mount St. Mary's Hospital] To Mr. and Mrs. Donald R. Crowell, 813 Willow avenue, July 10, a son.
- The following appeared on 1 September 1948 in The Niagara Falls Gazette: [Born at Mount St. Mary's Hospital] To Mr. and Mrs. Donald R. Crowell, 813 Willow avenue, August 31, a daughter.
- The following appeared on 2 February 1953 in the Niagara Falls Gazette: [Born at Mount St. Mary's Hospital] To Mr. and Mrs. Donald R. Crowell, 2409 Michigan avenue, January 30, a son.
- The following appeared on 9 July 1957 in the Niagara Falls Gazette: [Born at Mount St. Mary's Hospital] To Mr. and Mrs. Donald R. Crowell, 1131 LaSalle Ave., Grand Island, July 6 1957, a daughter, Barbara Jean.
- The following appeared on 15 July 1968 in the Niagara Falls Gazette: Mrs. Emma M. Kenific, 72, of 5953 Hyde Park Boulevard, died unexpectedly Saturday (July 13, 1968) in her home.
She was born in Niagara Falls and lived here all her life. Mrs. Kenific was the wife of Joseph A. Kenific, a retired assistant postmaster at the main post office here.
She is also survived by a son, Robert F. Kenific of Norwich; a daughter, Mrs. Donald (Jean) Crowell, of Grand Island, and 10 grandchildren.
Friends may call at the Otto Renanz Funeral Home from 3 to 5 and 7 to 9 p.m. today and Tuesday.
Funeral services will be held at the home Wednesday at 9 a.m. and from St. Teresa of Infant Jesus Church at 9:30 a.m.
Burial will be in Gate of Heaven Cemetery.
- The following appeared on 3 September 1980 in the Oswego Palladium-Times: Joseph A. Kenific, 83, of 24 Hayes St., Norwich, died Tuesday morning at his residence after an extended illness.
Born in Oswego, he was the son of the late Edward P. and Mary O'Connor Kenific. His first wife, the late Emma Hurley, died in 1968. He subsequently married Jane Conway Sullivan of Norwich who survives.
Also surviving are a daughter, Mrs. Donald (Jean) Crowell of Grand Island; a son, Robert F. Kenific of Camillus; 10 grandchildren; seven great-grandchildren; a sister, Miss Mary Kenific of Oswego; and three brothers, Francis A. of Oswego, John of Lockport, and William of Lancaster, Pa.
For many years, Kenific resided in Grand Island. He had been employed at the Niagara Falls Post Office from Dec. 1918 until his retirement as Assistant Postmaster in 1963. He was an honorary member of the Star of the Sea Council Knights of Columbus of Grand Island. Since his residency in Norwich in 1972, he had been a communicant of St. Paul's Church.
Services from the Devine-Wilson Memorial Home, Norwich, will be held at 9:30 a.m. and at St. Paul's Church at 10 a.m. on Thursday. Interment will be in Gate of Heaven Cemetery, Niagara Falls at 1:30 p.m. on Friday. Calling hours at the funeral home are today from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m.
- Jean Marie Kenific became a widow at the 3 September 2002 death of her husband Donald Richard Crowell.
- The following appeared in a local newspaper: [Died] Donald R. Crowell, September 3, 2002, of Grand Island, beloved husband and best friend of Jean (Kenific) Crowell for over 55 years; father of Donald R. (Carol) Crowell, Kathleen M. Doldan, Judith A. (Dr. John) Herman, Barbara J. (Dr. Jay) Clark, Margaret A. (Donald) Bray and the late Thomas M. Crowell; also survived by 14 grandchildren, two step-grandchildren, two great-grandchildren and many nieces, nephews and cousins; brother of Robert L. (Lillian) Crowell and the late Helen B. O'Hara. Friends may call Thursday and Friday, 2-4 and 7-9 PM, at the Kaiser Funeral Home, 1950 Whitehaven Rd., Grand Island. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated Saturday at 11 AM at St. Stephen's Church. Memorials may be made to the American Diabetes Assn.
- Last Edited: 28 Nov 2014