b. circa 1908, d. 16 March 2007
- Florence Clifford was born circa 1908 in South Dakota.
- She married Clarence Young, son of Thomas Blythe Young and Florence Sheridan, on 20 February 1928 in Redfield, Spink County, South Dakota, with clergyman George MacConnachie officiating. It was the first marriage for both bride and groom, both residing in Ashton..
- The following appeared on 24 February 1953 in The Daily Plainsman: (Ashton) Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Young were honored Saturday evening on their silver wedding anniversary when friends gathered at their home. Cards were played. High scores were won by Mrs. Lloyd Igo and Pat Hollenbeck and low went to Miss Linda Miller and Ed Frost. Mr. and Mrs. Young were presented a gift of silver from those present.
- The following appeared on 11 April 1956 in The Daily Plainsman: (Ashton) Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Young, Wichita, Kan., spent the week end here attending to business matters and visiting friends and relatives.
- The following appeared on 22 August 1956 in The Daily Plainsman: (Ashton) Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Young arrived from Wichita, Kan., Thursday. They will be employed at Redfield.
- The following appeared on 21 August 1957 in The Daily Plainsman: (Ashton) Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Young left for Albuquerque, N. M., for a visit in the home of their son, Mr. and Mrs. Marvin Young and family.
- The following appeared on 11 September 1957 in The Daily Plainsman: (Ashton) Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Young and son, Sgt. Marvin Young, left Friday for Albuquerque, N. M., where Mr. and Mrs. Young will be employed and Marvin will return to camp.
- Florence Clifford became a widow at the 1962 death of her husband Clarence Young.
- Florence Clifford died on 16 March 2007 in Redfield, South Dakota.
- She was interred at Ashton Cemetery, Ashton, Spink County, South Dakota.
- The following appeared on 17 March 2007 in the Aberdeen American News: (Redfield) Florence Braasch, 98, of Redfield, S.D., and formerly of Ashton, died Friday, March 16, 2007, at the Eastern Star Home in Redfield.
Her funeral will be Monday, March 19, 2007, at 2 p.m. at Thelen Funeral Home in Redfield. Father William Osborn will officiate.
Burial will be in the Ashton Cemetery. Visitation will be 2-8 p.m. Sunday at Thelen Funeral Home in Redfield.
Florence was born Dec. 8, 1908, in Sioux Falls, S.D., to Dennis and Margaret (Brennen) Clifford. She attended grade school in rural Ashton and graduated from Ashton High School.
Florence married Clarence Young in February 1928. They farmed for several years before starting the Ashton Bar. They later moved to Kansas and New Mexico, when Clarence died in 1962.
She then worked at Ashton Grocery Store and as a dorm parent at South Dakota Developmental Center-Redfield.
Florence married Herbert Braasch in 1972. They lived on the farm before moving into Ashton.
Herb died in 1987. Florence has been at the Eastern Star Home for the last few years.
Florence enjoyed playing tripoly and crocheting. She had been a member of the Rebeccah Lodge in Ashton.
Florence is survived by her son Barton (Midge) Young of Ashton, S.D., and a daughter-in-law, Helen Oberle-Young of Mellette. She is also survived by 11 grandchildren, 16 great-grandchildren and 13 great-great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by her parents, both husbands, one son, Marvin Young, a daughter and son-in-law, Lola and Robert Dunker, a brother, Dennis Clifford, and a sister, Dorothy Zoodsma.
Casketbearers will be Mike Dunker, Bill, Allen, Greg, David, Steve and Clyle Young.
- Last Edited: 10 Dec 2015