Frank Dale Abell
b. 26 July 1878, d. 21 November 1964
- Father: Erastus Corning Abell b. 29 June 1850, d. 28 May 1927
- Mother: Alice D. Tainter b. circa April 1854, d. 31 January 1922
- Frank Dale Abell was born on 26 July 1878 in New Jersey.
- Josephine Caroline Brooks appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in Morristown, Morris County, New Jersey. Other members of the household included Frank Dale Abell, Erastus Corning Abell, Alice D. Tainter, Frank Stone Tainter, Effie Brooks Abell and Charles Tainter Abell.
- Erastus Corning Abell and Alice D. Tainter appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in Morristown, Morris County, New Jersey, at 10 Hill Street. Other members of the household included Frank Dale Abell, Effie Brooks Abell and Josephine Brooks Abell. There was one female domestic servant in the household.
- He married Elvira Dudley Dean, daughter of (?) Dean and Fannie I. (?), in 1918.
- Frank Dale Abell registered for the draft on 12 September 1918 in Morris County, New Jersey, while living with his wife Elvira at 190 South Street in Morristown, and employed there by First National Bank on Park Place.
- Frank Dale Abell and Elvira Dudley Dean appeared in the US federal census of 1 January 1920 in Morristown, Morris County, New Jersey. Other members of the household included Fannie I. (?) and Jennie A. Dean.
- He was employed by a bank as a cashier, according to the 1920 census.
- Frank Dale Abell and Elvira Dudley Dean appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1930 in Harding Township, Morris County, New Jersey, at Sand Spring Road.
- He was a bank vice president, according to the 1930 census.
- Frank Dale Abell registered for the draft in 1942 while living with his wife Elvira on Sandspring Road in Harding Township, in Morris County, and employed by the the First National Bank in Morristown.
- Frank Dale Abell became a widower at the 8 December 1948 death of his wife Elvira Dudley Dean.
- Frank Dale Abell died on 21 November 1964 at age 86.
- The following appeared on 23 November 1964 in the Trenton Evening Times: (Morristown) Funeral services will be held Tuesday for Frank D. Abell, 86, former state senator and assemblyman, who died Saturday night after a long illness in All Souls Hospital.
Abell also was a former commissioner of the Port of New York Authority.
Services will be held in St. Peter's Episcopal Church at 3 p.m. Burial will be in Evergreen Cemetery.
Abel went to work for the National Bank of Morristown in 1898 and rose to president, holding that post from 1930 to 1944. He also served as president of the First National Iron Bank of Morristown when the National Iron Bank and First National Bank merged.
He was chairman of the board from 1945 to 1963 and retired to become honorary chairman.
Abell was treasurer of Morristown from 1912 to 1918 and served as a Republican member and director of the Morris County Board of Chosen Freeholders from 1913 to 1925. He was elected to the Assembly in 1925 and to a six-year term in the Senate in 1926.
He also was a former director of the Jersey Central Power and Light Co.
He is survived by a daughter, Mrs. Benjamin Franklin III, New Vernon, and a son, Frank B. Abell Jr. of Morristown.
- He was buried at Evergreen Cemetery in Morristown, Morris County, New Jersey.
- Last Edited: 18 Feb 2012