John C. Louis Mittag
b. September 1826, d. 16 January 1902
- John C. Louis Mittag was born in September 1826 in Mecklenburg-Strelitz, Mecklenburg.
- He married Caroline Herms, daughter of Herman Herms and Unknown (?).
- Ludwig and Caroline Mittag, Ida Herms and Carl Mittag arrived in the Port of New York on 31 August 1853 from Hamburg aboard the German full-rigged trader vessel Sir Robert Peel, traveling in second cabin.
- John C. Louis Mittag and Caroline Herms, appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1870 in Newtown, Long Island, Queens County, New York. Other members of the household included Frank Otto Mittag, Charles Mittag, Johanna R. Mittag, James Siegfried Mittag and Louisa Mittag.
- He was a florist, according to the 1870 census.
- John C. Louis Mittag and Caroline Herms appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in New York City, New York, at 132 Bleeker. Other members of the household included Johanna R. Mittag.
- He was a maker of rustic-work, according to the 1880 census.
- John C. Louis Mittag became a widower at the circa 1899 death of his wife Caroline Herms.
- James Siegfried Mittag and Fredericka J. Woelmer appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in Park Ridge, Bergen County, New Jersey. Other members of the household included John C. Louis Mittag, Viola J. Mittag, Charlotte Mittag, Winfred George Mittag, Marita Caroline Mittag, Zenobia Loretta Mittag and James Siegfried Mittag Jr.
- John C. Louis Mittag died on 16 January 1902 at age 75 in Park Ridge, New Jersey.
- The following appeared on 17 January 1902 in the New York Herald: [Died] January 16, 1902, at the home of his son, James S. Mittag, Park Ridge, N. J., John C. L. Mittag, aged 76 years. Funeral private.
- Last Edited: 5 Nov 2014