Emma O. Utz
b. 1858, d. 13 May 1942
- Emma O. Utz was born in 1858 in Niagara Falls, Niagara County, New York.
- She married Charles Pomeroy Graves.
- Emma O. Utz became a widow at the 30 March 1917 death of her husband Charles Pomeroy Graves.
- The following appeared on 30 March 1942 in The Niagara Falls Gazette: A Peep into the Past . . . Charles Pomeroy Graves, 65-year-old real estate dealer and one of the city's most widely known residents, died in Memorial hospital 25 years ago today. He was a native and lifelong resident of the Suspension Bridge section, his father being the first United States immigration inspector assigned to theis port in earl village days. After graduating from Oberlin college, he became chief clerk at the Suspension Bridge postoffice and later served as an agent for the New York Central railroad before entering the real estate business in 1904. He was a charter member of the old 42nd Separate company. Surviving his are his wife, Mrs. Emma Utz Graves; two sons, Charles E. and Williams [sic] B. Graves, and two daugthters, Emma A. Graves and Mrs. W. W. Read.
- Emma O. Utz died on 13 May 1942 in Niagara Falls, Niagara County, New York, at 714 Chilton Avenue.
- She was interred at Oakwood Cemetery, Niagara Falls, Niagara County, New York.
- The following appeared on 14 May 1942 in The Niagara Falls Gazette: Emma O.Graves, beloved 84-year-old native and lifelong resident of Niagara Falls, who was long known to a host of friends and admirers as "Mom" Graves, died at 9:30 o'clock last night at the home of her daughter, Mrs. W. W. Read, 714 Chilton avenue. She was one of the oldest of Niagara Falls' surviving natives.
Born in the former village of Niagara Falls in 1858, she was the daughter of the late Carl and Marie Utz, pioneer residents. Her father for years operated a meat market in Falls street, one of the few shops in the straggling village of that time. She was a sister of Otto Utz, who served as chief of the Niagara Falls fire department for many years.
Educated in the old Niagara Academy, famous local girls' school of that era, she married Charles Pomeroy Graves, prominent member of one of the community's oldest families, who later became one of the city's foremost real estate dealers. Mr. Graves died 25 years ago.
Unusually active throughout her long life, Mrs. Graves had many interests, chief of which was her home life. She was also an outdoor enthusiast, and an ardent fishing fan and for 55 years she went on annual fishing trips in the Georgian Bay district of Canada. She made her last trip north two years ago and spent many hours fishing from the dock in front of the cottage. She was invalided by a streptococcus infection last Christmas.
Mrs. Graves is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Read and Miss Emma H. Graves, and two grandchildren, Charles C. Graves and Jessie May Graves, all of this city.
Funeral services will be held at Mrs. Read's home at 3 p. m. Saturday, with the Rev. A. C. VanRaalte, of the First Presbyterian church, officiating. Burial will be in Oakwood Cemetery.
- Last Edited: 20 May 2012