Thurlow Samuel Williams
b. 6 August 1896, d. 21 July 1955
- Father: Samuel Deveaux Williams b. circa 1848, d. 24 May 1898
- Mother: Johanna Stahle b. 5 August 1858, d. 3 January 1931
- Thurlow Samuel Williams was born on 6 August 1896 in Milan, Monroe County, Michigan.
- Johanna Stahle appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in Milan Township, Monroe County, Michigan. Other members of the household included Thurlow Samuel Williams, Hiram Hobert Williams, Belle Williams, Nellie Mae Williams, Edna Ann Williams and Howard Stahle Williams.
- The following appeared on 9 October 1908 in The Niagara Falls Gazette: A very pleasant gathering was that at the home of Mrs. Margaret Weber of Willow avenue, on Wednesday, when occurred the reunion of the family of Mrs. Ursula Stahle. The only drawback of the full enjoyment of the occasion was the absence of two of Mrs. Stahle's sons, the eldest, Mr. Conrad Stahle of Cleveland avenue, being seriously ill. The house was beautifully decorated with ferns and flowers, the color scheme throughout the entire house being red and green. The time passed most pleasantly in meeting and greeting relatives and friends, old and new, many of whom met for the first time. A most bountiful dinner was served, after which Mrs. Daniel Behe sang several beautiful solos, and Miss Ursula Stahle rendered some instrumental music. Among the out-of-town guests were: Mr. and Mrs. James Hollenbeck and daughter Hazel, of Lockport; Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Behe, of Gasport; Mrs. Herman Gaertner and Miss Edna Williams, of Petersburg, Mich; Mrs. John Cleghorn and son Robert, of Cuba; Mr. and Mrs. Robert Fitzgerald and Mr. and Mrs. Fred Weber and daughter, of Buffalo.
Many of those attending the reunion appear in the accompanying photograph.
- Herman Gaertner and Johanna Stahle appeared in the US federal census of 15 April 1910 in Petersburg, Monroe County, Michigan, at Center Street. Other members of the household included Thurlow Samuel Williams, Howard Stahle Williams.
- He served during World War I, according to the 1930 census.
- Thurlow Samuel Williams appeared in the US federal census of 1 January 1920 in East Spokane Township, Spokane County, Washington, lodging in a small hotel operated by Rose Kuehn.
- He was employed by as a railroad locomotive fireman, according to the 1920 census.
- He married Mellie V. Brown, daughter of Jacob Perry Brown and Rhoda (?), in October 1922 in Coeur d' Alene, Kootenai, Idaho.
- The following appeared on 12 December 1924 in the Niagara Falls Gazette: The People of the State of New York, to George H. Williams, brother of Hiram P. Williams, deceased, whose residence and post office address is unknown and cannot after due diligence be ascertained, and to Robert, Hiram, Howard, Thurlow, Belle, Nell and Edna Williams, nephews and nieces of Hiram P. Williams, deceased, all of the State of Washington but whose places of residence and post office addresses are unknown and cannot after due diligence be ascertained and to all the heirs-at-law and next of kin of Hiram P. Williams, deceased, formerly of the City of Niagara Falls, N. Y.
[:TAB] Whereas Florence Dennison, who resides at the City of Niagara Falls, New York, has presented a petition to the Surrogate's Court of our County of Niagara, praying for a cecree that a certain instrument in writing, bearing date the 10th day of July, 1921, relating to both real and personal property, be duly proved and admitted to probate as the last will and testament of Hiram P. Williams, late of the City of Niagara Falls in the County of Niagara, and State of New York, deceased.
Therefore, you and each of you, are cited to show cause before the Surrogate's Court of our County of Niagara, at the Court House, in the City of Niagara, at the Court House, in the City of Niagara Falls, 249 Second Street, in the said County of Niagara, on the 20th day of December, 1924, at 2 o'clock in the afternoon of that day, why such a decree should not be made.
In testimony whereof, we have caqused the Seal of said Surrogate's Court to be hereunto affixed.
Witness, Hon. Charles Hickey, Surrogate of our said County of Niagara, at Niagara Falls, N. Y., this 15th day of November, 1924.
Elizabeth E. Tenbrook, Clerk of the Currogate's Court.
Gervase Rhoney, Attorney for Executrix, Main and Niagara Avenue, Niagara Falls, N. Y.
- Johanna Stahle Williams Gaertner was photographed about 1926 surrounded by many members of her large family.
- Thurlow Samuel Williams and Mellie V. Brown appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1930 in Spokane, Spokane County, Washington, at 2018 Nebraska.
- He was employed by the railroad as an air brake tester, according to the 1930 census.
- Thurlow Samuel Williams and Mellie V. Brown appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1940 in Spokane, Washington, at 218 Nebraska.
- He was employed by a brewery as a driver, according to the 1940 census.
- Thurlow Samuel Williams registered for the draft in 1942 in Sopkane County, Washington, while living at East 2018 Nebraska in Spokane, and employed there by Golden Age Brewerry. Contact person was his sister, Mrs. C. B. Goetchius at West 2017 Seventh Street.
- Thurlow Samuel Williams died on 21 July 1955 at age 58 in Tumtum, Stevens County, Washington.
- Mellie V. Brown became a widow at his death.
- He was interred at Tumtum, Washington.
- Last Edited: 19 Feb 2014