William Henry Schmalz
b. 31 December 1862, d. 9 May 1933
- William Henry Schmalz was born on 31 December 1862 in Waterloo Township, Waterloo County, Canada West (later Ontario).
- He married Eleanora Oelschlager, daughter of William Oelschlager and Catherine Schmidt, on 12 September 1888 in Berlin, Waterloo County, Ontario, Canada, with Rev. P. Andres officiating.
- William H.Schmalz, was mayor of the town of Berlin in 1911, and when Berlin became incorporated as a city
on 10 June 1912 he became the first mayor of the new city. He designed the original coat-of-arms of the city of Kitchener.
- Left to right, appearing in the photograph taken on the occasion of the August 1916 wedding of Vorwerk Ernst and Midge Oelschlager, are Vor's mother Freda Ernst, his brother Harold, Berlin Mayor W. H. Schmalz, Midge's aunt Emily Duck McFarlane, groom Vorwerk Ernst, Midge's aunt (and wife of the mayor) Eleanora "Lolly" Oelschlager Schmalz, bride Catharine "Midge" Oelschlager Ernst, Midge's mother Lily Duck Oelschlager, Vor's father Sam Ernst, his brother Earl, and in front, his young cousins Martha and Bernice McFarlane.
- William Henry Schmalz died on 9 May 1933 at age 70 in Kitchener, Waterloo County, Ontario, Canada, at 189 Queen Street.
- He was interred at Mount Hope Cemetery, Kitchener, Waterloo County, Ontario, Canada.
- Last Edited: 20 May 2012