Joseph J. DeYoung
b. circa 1820, d. 23 November 1871
- Joseph J. DeYoung was born circa 1820 according to various records in Spain, England or Holland.
- He married Hannah Heath.
- Joseph J. DeYoung and Hannah Heath appeared in the New York state census of 1 June 1855 in Buffalo, Erie County, New York. Other members of the household included Kate DeYoung. Also in the household was Mary Bristol (age 19), identified as a married cousin, and two boarders.
- He was a clerk, according to the 1855 census.
- The following appeared on circa December 1859 in The Jewish Messenger: Payments presumably for subscriptions]. Messrs. A. Huffnung, C. E; S. W. Arnold, Edward S. Mawson, and S. Gane, Philadelphia, Pa; E. Cohen, Savannah, Ga; Joseph Ostermann, Galveston, Texas; Charles H. Moise, Charleston, S. C; E. Barrinds, Memphis, Ten; M. Greentree, Rochester, N. Y; Joseph J. De Young, Buffalo, N. Y; A. Morris for Hebrew Congregation, Poughkeepsie, N. Y; N. Levyt for the Loyd Street Congregation, Baltimore, Md. . .
- Joseph J. DeYoung and Hannah Heath appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1860 in Buffalo, New York. Other members of the household included Kate DeYoung.
- He was keeper of a variety store, according to the 1860 census.
- Joseph J. DeYoung and Hannah Heath, appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1870 in Buffalo, New York. Other members of the household included Kate DeYoung, Edward DeYoung and Edward Sniggs. Also in the household was Sallie Ballow (age 40).
- Joseph J. DeYoung died on 23 November 1871 in Buffalo, New York.
- Hannah Heath became a widow at his death.
- The following appeared on 24 November 1871 in the Buffalo Courier: [Died] In this city, on Thursday, Nov. 23d, of paralysis, Joseph J. DeYoung, aged 50 years. Funeral to-morrow, at 2 o'clock, from the Buffalo General Hospital, on High street.
- Last Edited: 10 Jun 2013