Mary G. Scott
b. 26 August 1827
- Mary G. Scott was born on 26 August 1827 in Trailtrew, Cummertrees, Dumfries, Scotland.
- She married Joseph McVittie circa 1848 in Whiteshead Ferry, Birkenhead, Cheshire, England.
- Mary G. Scott arrived in the Port of New York on 12 December 1871, accompanied by William Sharpe McVittie, Joseph Lang McVittie, Isabella Harris McVittie and Thomas Kerr McVittie from Liverpool aboard the White Star Line steamship Atlantic, burthen 2,366 tons, master Hamilton Perry.
The sinking of the Atlantic less than two years later on 1 April 1873 off the village of Prospect, Nova Scotia, is Canada's second worst marine disaster of all time, with the loss of some 562 lives.
- Joseph McVittie and Mary G. Scott appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in Lockport, Niagara County, New York, at Irving and also in the household was Eugenia Dadie, age 25. Margeret Dutcher and her family are also enumerated with her husband in Duchess County.. Other members of the household included Margaret Tate McVittie, Abijah Ernest Dutcher, Margaret Minerva Dutcher, Martha Isabel Dutcher, Theodore James Rockwell Dutcher, William Sharpe McVittie, Joseph Lang McVittie and Thomas Kerr McVittie.
- Joseph McVittie and Mary G. Scott appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in Lockport, Niagara County, New York, at 150 Spaulding.
- Last Edited: 20 Dec 2011
Family: Joseph McVittie b. 22 February 1826
- Margaret Tate McVittie+ b. 23 August 1849, d. 20 April 1906
- Mary McVittie b. 6 March 1851
- James Scott McVittie b. 2 December 1852
- Catherine McVittie b. 5 January 1855
- William Sharpe McVittie+ b. 16 March 1857, d. 5 May 1913
- Joseph Lang McVittie b. 25 February 1859
- Isabella Harris McVittie b. 6 January 1861
- Thomas Kerr McVittie b. 15 September 1862
- Jessie McVittie b. 28 March 1866