Chauncey Eugene Oliver
b. 1869, d. 20 May 1956
- Father: Lyman R. Oliver b. July 1841, d. 10 August 1923
- Mother: Mary T. Murphy b. circa 1846, d. 27 January 1920
- Chauncey Eugene Oliver was born in 1869 in New York.
- Lyman R. Oliver and Mary T. Murphy, appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1870 in Lockport, Niagara County, New York, enumerated near Lyman's parents.. Other members of the household included Chauncey Eugene Oliver, Fred R. Oliver.
- Lyman R. Oliver and Mary T. Murphy appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in Lockport, Niagara County, New York, at Main Street. Other members of the household included Chauncey Eugene Oliver, Fred R. Oliver, Harriette Alice Oliver and Grace E. Oliver.
- The following appeared on 10 August 1923 in the Lockport Union-Sun & Journal: Lyman R. Oliver, for many years a resident of this city and formerly an inspector in the U. S. Customs service, died this morning at 7 o'clock at his home, No. 1659 Niagara avenue, Niagara Falls. Old age infirmities caused death. He was 82 years old.
Mr. Oliver was born in this city [sic] in July, 1841 and received his education in the public schools. For 30 years he was employed in the old Holly shops. He then was named an inspector in the U. S. Customs office at Niagara Falls under the late Senator Timothy E. Ellsworth and held that office for 20 years, retiring about two years ago.
In fraternal circles Mr. Oliver was an Odd Fellow. He was a member of Cataract lodge, No. 54 and Canton Niagara, No. 7, Patriarch Militant.
Surviving are three sons and [two] daughters, Fred R. of this city, C. Eugene of LaSalle, Philip C., Hattie A. and Grace E. Oliver. of Niagara Falls. Funeral arrangements have not yet been made.
- The following appeared on 21 April 1938 in The Niagara Falls Gazette: [Died] In this city, April 20, 1938, Philip C. Oliver, age 63, husband of Margaret, son of the late Lyman and Mary T., brother of Miss Harriett L., Grace E. and C. Eugene, all of this city, and Fred R. of Lockport. Funeral from the home, 1140 Haeberle avenue, Saturday, April 23 at 2 p. m., Rev. Joseph A. Zimmerman officiating. Interment in Oakwood Cemetery.
- Chauncey Eugene Oliver died on 20 May 1956 in Niagara Falls, Niagara County, New York, at 210 81st Street at his residence.
- He was interred at Oakwood Cemetery Mausoleum, Niagara Falls, Niagara County, New York.
- The following appeared on 21 May 1956 in the Niagara Falls Gazette: Chauncey E. Oliver, 86, a trustee in the Village of LaSalle before that community was annexed by the city in 1927, died yesterday (May 20, 1956) at his home, 210 81st St. He had been in ill health for a year.
Mr. Oliver retired in 1953 from the City Public Works Department. He had served as a foreman in that department.
Born in Lockport, Mr. Oliver had lived in the LaSalle section for 66 years. He was one of the first employes of the Shredded Wheat Co. here and headed the first union organized at the Buffalo Ave. plant.
He also served as tax collection in LaSalle before the village voted to come into the city. He was a member and first president of the Retail Clerks Assn. here.
Surviving are a daughter, Miss Elberta Oliver; a son, Harold Oliver; a sister, Miss Grace E. Oliver, and a grandson, Sperry Oliver, all of this city.
Funeral services will be held at the Cornell and Daggett Funeral Chapel Wednesday at 2 p.m., by the Rev. Richard J. Davey, D.D. Burial will be in Oakwood Cemetery.
- Last Edited: 29 Jun 2012