Sylvia A. Brewer
b. 25 February 1871, d. 1958
- Father: Winfield Scott Brewer b. August 1851, d. 5 May 1935
- Mother: Josephine Burtch b. August 1853, d. 11 November 1907
- Sylvia A. Brewer was born on 25 February 1871 in Alpine, Kent County, Michigan. She was born when her mother was age 17 and her father age 19, according to her birth record an illegitimate daughter born tsome six years before their marriage.
- Winfield Scott Brewer and Josephine Burtch appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in Grant, Newayto County, Michigan. Other members of the household included Sylvia A. Brewer, Raymond Brewer. Also, Winfield Brewer, (age 24, unmarried) is enumerated in Grant in the adjacent household as a boarder employed as a sawyer in a mill.
- Winfield Scott Brewer and Josephine Burtch appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in Boardman, Columbus County, North Carolina, enumerated not far from household where Sylvia's future husband Frank Covington and his brother Laurin were living with other partners in their drygoods sales business.. Other members of the household included Sylvia A. Brewer. And boarding in the household was Emma Stone (age 14).
- She was a cashier in a store, according to the 1900 census.
- She married Robert Frank Covington, son of Charles Frank Covington and Mary Jane Barrentine, on 13 March 1904 in Boardman, North Carolina.
- Robert Frank Covington and Sylvia A. Brewer appeared in the US federal census of 15 April 1910 in Boardman, North Carolina. Other members of the household included Winnie Covington, Robert Scott Covington and Winfield Scott Brewer. In a short time, Frank's father-in-law Winfield Scott Brewer will marry Frank's younger sister Mary Jane "Jennie" Covington.
- Robert Frank Covington registered for the draft on 12 September 1918 in Columbus County, North Carolina, while living with his wife Sylvia in Whiteville, and employed there farming.
- Sylvia A. Brewer died in 1958.
- Robert Frank Covington became a widower at her death.
- She was interred at Chadbourn Cemetery, Chadbourne, Columbus County, North Carolina.
- Research Note: In 1870 Winfield Brewer (age 18) is enumerated working on the farm of (an uncle?) Francis Brewer, in Alpine, Michigan, next to the household Josephine "Birch" (age 16) with her parents Hiram & Annis. Winfield S. Brewer's marriage to Josie A. Burtch is recorded as 1 January 1877 in Grand Rapids. To further confuse matters, his marriage to Abigail C. Eddy is recorded as 11 January 1873 in Ottawa County, Michigan.
- Last Edited: 27 Sep 2015