Alice R. Combe
b. 12 October 1901, d. May 1987
- Alice R. Combe was born on 12 October 1901 in County Durham, England.
- She married Clarence E. Hoffman, son of Herbert Peter Hoffman and Bird C. Greenleaf, on 27 June 1923 in Niagara Falls, Niagara County, New York, at the First Presbyterian manse, with the Rev. A. S. Bacon officiating.
- The following appeared on 28 June 1923 in The Niagara Falls Gazette: A very pretty wedding took place yesterday afternoon at 3:30 o'clock at the First Presbyterian manse in Buffalo avenue when Miss Alice R. Combe became the bride of Clarence E. Hoffman, the Rev. A. S. Bacon officiating. The bride looked charming in white canton crepe and white satin hat trimmed with pearls and carried an arm bouquet of ophelia roses and lilies of the valley. The bridesmaid, Miss Christine Combe, sister of the bride, was gowned in blue imported swiss, wore a white silk hat and a corsage of pink roses. Robert Combe, brother of the bride, attended the groom. A rception was held at the home of Mrs. Walter Young, sister of the bride, in Fourth street. The bride's table was laid for 12 and was decorated with roses. Mr. and Mrs. Hoffman left for Detroit, Saginaw and Bay City, Mich. the bride's going away gown was grey canton crepe with grey hat to match. [:R:] Mr. and Mrs. Combe, Elsie Combe and William Combe of Louth, Ont., and Mr. David Combe of Youngstown were out of town guests.
- Clarence E. Hoffman and Alice R. Combe appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1930 in Niagara Falls, Niagara County, New York, at 4214 Washington. Other members of the household included Herbert William Hoffman and Bird C. Greenleaf. Clarence's mother Bird also is enumerated as a practical nurse in another Niagara Falls household, and brother Kenneth is enumerated working in Midland, Michigan.
- Clarence E. Hoffman and Alice R. Combe appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1940 in Lewiston Township, Niagara County, New York, at Saunders Settlement Road. Other members of the household included Herbert William Hoffman and Bird C. Greenleaf. In 1935 Clarence and family were living in Niagara Falls, and his mother Bird in Saginaw, Michigan.
- Alice R. Combe became a widow at the August 1983 death of her husband Clarence E. Hoffman.
- Alice R. Combe died in May 1987 at age 85 in Niagara County, County Durham.
- She was interred at Riverdale Cemetery, Lewiston, Niagara County, New York.
- Last Edited: 26 Jan 2015