Robert Edwin Hunt
b. 3 March 1873, d. 21 May 1954
- Father: Joseph Hunt b. circa 1828, d. 14 May 1897
- Mother: Fanny Jane Lyons b. January 1830, d. 3 August 1915
- Robert Edwin Hunt married Bertha Helen (?)
- He was born on 3 March 1873 in Guelph, Wellington, Ontario, Canada.
- The following appeared on 3 August 1915 in the Buffalo Courier: Mrs. Fannie J. Hunt, eighty-five years old, died early this morning at the home of her son, William Hunt, commissioner of charities and corrections, No. 408 Trenton avenue. Death followed an illness of several months.
Mrs. Hunt, a resident of Berlin, Ont., until the death of her husband Twenty years ago, then came to Buffalo to reside with her son. The body will remain in Buffalo until Wednesday, when it will be taken to Berlin, Ont., for interment. The funeral will be held at the home of a daughter, Mrs. Fred Sheppard, in Berlin. Mrs. Hunt was a member of Linwood avenue Methodist church in Buffalo.
Six sons and two daughters survive. They are: Mrs. Fred Sheppard of Berlin, Ont; John Hunt of Regina, Man; and Mrs. Frank G. Gilchrist [sic], Harry J. Hunt, William Hunt, Walter Hunt, Charles Hunt and Robert Hunt of Buffalo.
- He served while living with his wife Bertha Helen in Buffalo at 256 North Division, employed by the county as a road builder.
- The following appeared on 17 August 1926 in the Buffalo Evening News: [Died] In Waterbury, Conn., Aug. 15, 1926, Charles A. Hunt, husband of Carrie Hunt, father of Charles and Genevieve Hunt, brother of William, Harry, and Robert Hunt, Mrs. Elizabeth Sheppard of Kitchener, Ont., Mrs. Frank Gilchriese of Buffalo, N. Y. Funeral from the residence of his son, 31 Heussy avenue, time to be announced later.
- The following appeared on 12 July 1944 in the Buffalo Courier-Express: [Died] William Hunt, July 9, 1944, beloved husband of Loretta Dundas; brother of Harry J., Walter, and Robert Hunt, Mrs. Frank Gilchrist and the late Charles and John Hunt, and Mrs. Elizabeth Sheppard. The funeral will take place from the family residence, 298 Woodward Ave., Wednesday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock. Friends are invited to attend. Deceased was a member of Erie Lodge, 161 F. & A. M., Buffalo Consistory, Ismailia Temple and B. P. O. E. No. 23.
- The following appeared on 14 January 1954 in the Buffalo Courier-Express: Funeral services for Harry J. Hunt, 93, of 378 Warren Ave., Kenmore, who served as chief bill clerk in the House of Representatives in the Coolidge and Hoover administrations, will be held at 2 p.m. tomorrow at the McGinnis-Sauerwein Funeral Home, 2268 Main St.
Mr. Hunt was born in Guelph, Ont., April 5, 1860, and came to Buffalo as a youth. He operated the old Carriage Blacksmith Co., later became the owner and operator of Hunt's Hotel and Restaurant, which was located at the site of the Lafayette Hotel.
After the building was razed in 1910, Mr. Hunt became the proprietor of the LaTouraine Hotel which was located at 264 East Utica, now known as Crescent Hall.
He was elected to the Board of Supervisors in 1902 from the old Sixth Ward. For 40 years he served as a Republican committeeman from the old 12th Ward. He left the hotel business in 1923 and served as chief bill clerk of the House of Representatives for 10 years. He retired in 1933.
He was married to the former Alice S. Barnes Aug. 29, 1886. There were four children, Margaret E., Albert H., assistant purchasing agent of Erie County; Mrs. Alice L. Scruton, Oakville, Ont., and William P., New York City.
Mr. Hunt married Anna Stahle in 1920, after the death of his first wife. His second wife died in 1938.
Also surviving are a sister, Mrs. Jean Gilchriese, Miami, Fla., and two brothers, Walter and Robert E. Hunt.
- Robert Edwin Hunt died on 21 May 1954 at age 81.
- He was interred at White Chapel Memorial Park, West Amherst, Erie County, New York.
- Last Edited: 8 Mar 2014