Sally DeWitt Cook
b. 27 September 1928, d. 14 January 1998
- Sally DeWitt Cook was born on 27 September 1928.
- She married Colin Lanfear Browne, son of Lanfear Morell Milne Browne and Sybil Moline Fredericka Kammerer, say 1949.
- The SSDI lists Mecklenburg, Matthews County, North Carolina, as the last residence of record of Sally DeWitt Cook.
- Sally DeWitt Cook died on 14 January 1998 at age 69.
- Colin Lanfear Browne became a widower at her death.
- She was interred at Saint John's Episcopal Church Columbarium, Charlotte, Mecklenburg County, North Carolina.
- The following memorial was published by Founds Funeral Home: Nancy Cook Most, 87, of White Horse Village in Newtown Square, died June 12, 2009, in the company of close friends and family.
She was the widow of Harry Rutherford Most, who predeceased her in 1996, and mother of H. Rutherford "Ford" Most Jr. of Anaheim, Calif.
She was also predeceased by her sisters, Jane Cook Wiltshire and Sally Cook Browne.
Nancy was born in Philadelphia, grew up in Ardmore and attended Lower Merion High School. She graduated from Stephens College in St. Louis and worked in marketing research for General Mill Corporation. She also raised, trained and showed German shepherd dogs for many years.
Nancy and her husband, Harry, moved to Valley Forge in the late 1950’s and lived for many years at Now and Then, the pre-revolutionary farmhouse they lovingly restored and wrapped in a modern glass addition designed by Oscar Stonorov. At Now and Then, Nancy raised farm animals and hosted educational programs for inner-city children. She also hosted benefits for local charities and amassed an eclectic collection of local arts and crafts.
Nancy moved to White Horse Village in 1996 and continued to be a dedicated patron of the arts and of local and international humanitarian causes.
Contributions in Nancy’s memory may be made to the Great Valley Nature Center, P.O. Box 82, (Route 29 & Hollow Road), Devault, PA 19432, or to The Wharton Esherick Museum, Box 595, Paoli, PA 19301-0595.
- The following appeared on 30 July 2009 in The Charlotte Observer: Dr. Colin L. Browne, 81, of Charlotte, died July 25, 2009. He was born in Buffalo, NY on April 11, 1928, son of the late Lanfear and Sybil K. Browne. He retired from Celanese Corporation after 35 years of service as Manager of the Research and Development Lab.
In addition to his parents, Dr. Browne was preceded in death by his wife, Sally Cook Browne. He is survived by his long time companion, Mary Catherine Shank; sons, Gordon and Geoff and wife, Cecilia; granddaughters, Inga, Eliza, and Emma; and great-grandson, Eli.
A memorial service will be held at 3:00 p.m., Saturday, August 1, 2009 at Plantation Estates, 733 Plantation Estates Drive, Matthews, NC 28105, with Chaplain Larry Watts, officiating. Inurnment will be private.
Arrangements are in the care of Hankins & Whittington Funeral Service.
- Last Edited: 20 Jul 2013
- Charts: Descendants of DEXHEIMER Philipp Peter & Maria Agnesa Wagner / Anna Christina Baltz , Descendants of KÄMERER Laurentius & Catharina Schömbs