Esther Louise Hoffman
b. 12 June 1909, d. 14 May 2001
- Father: Christian Hoffman b. 15 August 1882, d. 13 February 1977
- Mother: Anna Maria Christina Borth b. 23 October 1884, d. 22 October 1956
- Esther Louise Hoffman was born on 12 June 1909 in Buffalo, Erie County, New York.
- Christian Hoffman and Anna Maria Christina Borth appeared in the US federal census of 15 April 1910 in Buffalo, Erie County, New York, at 756 Glenwood Avenue living not far from Mate's cousin Addie Gaise.. Other members of the household included Esther Louise Hoffman, Ruth Mary Hoffman.
- Christian Hoffman appeared in the US federal census of 1 January 1920 in Buffalo, New York, at 756 Glenwood Avenue. Other members of the household included Esther Louise Hoffman, Ruth Mary Hoffman, Christian Charles Hoffman, Edith Dorothy Hoffman, George Daniel Hoffman and Carol Elizabeth Hoffman.
- Christian Hoffman and Anna Maria Christina Borth appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1930 in Buffalo, New York, at 756 Glenwood Avenue. Other members of the household included Esther Louise Hoffman, Ruth Mary Hoffman, Christian Charles Hoffman, Edith Dorothy Hoffman, George Daniel Hoffman and Carol Elizabeth Hoffman.
- She married Alfred Julius Schillke, son of Adolf Julius Schillke and Anna Runge, on 21 October 1932.
- Christ and Mate Hoffman were photographed with some of their family, about 1955.
- The following appeared on 24 July 1955 in the Buffalo Courier-Express: George Dan'l Hoffman's recent one-man art show and song recital at the Twentieth Century Club drew your Good Listener's attention to the exceptionally talented Hoffman family -- six sons and daughters of Mr. and Mrs. Christian Hoffman, 751 Glenwood Ave.
Christian Hoffman Sr. made his start as a blacksmith, then, changing with the times, became the owner of a garage and repair shop for cars. Although he and his wife were limited in schooling, they encouraged their sons and daughters to develop their abilities through education.
Their daughter, Ruth, studied home economics at Buffalo State Teachers College, from where she was graduated. She is dietitian at Seneca Vocational High School.
The second daughter, Mrs. Alfred Schillke of Eggertsville, a graduate of the Buffalo School of Fine Arts, is a former teacher of art in local public schools. Lately, she conducted the art course in the Vacation Bible School of Ascension Lutheran Church, Snyder.
Christian Hoffman Jr., a graduate of Oswego State Teachers College, is a member of the faculty of Burgard Vocational High School. He has taken graduate courses at the University of Buffalo. The third daughter, Mrs. Carl [E]yring of Arizona, channels her artistic talent in the field of dress designing.
George Dan'l Hoffman of New York has sung in Carnegie Hall and painted portraits of many outstanding Americans. His study of art, begun at the Buffalo School of Fine Arts, was continued at the Parsons Art School and Cooper Union Institute of New York. Currently he is conducting summer art classes at his Snyder studio.
Mrs. Henry J[uette] of Snyder, youngest member of the family, made an intensive study of music. She is a church choir soloist, piano teacher, and former president of the Piano Teachers' Forum of Buffalo.
This family is an excellent example of the opportunities available to Americans possessing talent and the perseverance essential to its development.
- During May 1956, Christ and Mate Hoffman celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary, and family members posed for a group photograph.
- The following appeared on 29 April 1957 in the Buffalo Courier-Express: The Rev. Paul R. Swank officiated at the marriage of Miss Katrina Louise Schillke, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Alfred J. Schillke of Chateau Ter., Snyder., and Darold Clarence Wobschall, son of Mr. and Mrs. Clarence R. Wobschall of Wells, Minn., at 3 Saturday afternoon at the Lutheran Church of the Ascension in Borroughs Dr., Snyder.
The bride wore an Empire gown of ivory satin. A back sweep highlighted the sheath skirt and the bodice was topped by a short, fitted jacket. Her Madonna veil of silk lace was the same one worn by her mother when she was married. She carried ivory tulips.
Miss Gretchen Juliann Schillke of Hollis was maid of honor for her sister. She was attired in an Empire gown of green taffeta accented by violet chiffon. Mrs. William A. Livingston, bridesmaid, was similarly gowned in violet taffeta.
The best man was William A. Livingston, and the ushers were Kermit Wobschall of Wells, brother of the bridegroom; Peter Schillke, brother of the bride, and Anthony Dugan.
- Esther Louise Hoffman became a widow at the 23 May 1993 death of her husband Alfred Julius Schillke.
- Esther Louise Hoffman died on 14 May 2001 at age 91 in Buffalo, Erie County, New York, at Millard Fillmore Hospital.
- She was interred at Acacia Park Cemetery, North Tonawanda, Niagara County, New York.
- The following appeared on 5 June 2001 in The Buffalo News: Esther H. Schillke of Amherst, a former teacher, died May 14, 2001, in Millard Fillmore Hospital after a brief illness. She was 91.
Born Esther Hoffman in Buffalo, she graduated from Masten Park High School in 1927 and received a scholarship to Albright Art School.
Upon completion of courses at the art school in 1930, she accepted a job as a teacher at School 3 in Buffalo. She taught there until 1932, when she married former Buffalo police officer Alfred J. Schillke. The Schillkes were married 61 years when he died in 1993.
The Schillkes moved to Amherst in 1950, and Mrs. Schillke was involved with her church, Ascension Lutheran Church in Snyder. She was particularly known for her beautiful flower arrangements.
Her artistic talents also found an outlet in her sewing, gardening and home decorating.
Mrs. Schillke is survived by two daughters, Gretchen Carpenter of Bethel, Conn., and Katrina Wobschall of Amherst; two sons, Peter of Albuquerque, N.M., and Christian of Santa Barbara, Calif; a sister, Ruth Mary Hoffman of Amherst; nine grandchildren; and 11 great-grandchildren.
A memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. Sunday in Ascension Church, 4640 Main St., Snyder.
- Last Edited: 13 Oct 2013
- Charts: Descendants of DEXHEIMER Philipp Peter & Maria Agnesa Wagner / Anna Christina Baltz , Descendants of KÄMERER Laurentius & Catharina Schömbs
Family: Alfred Julius Schillke b. 22 May 1906, d. 23 May 1993
- Lisa Ruth Schillke+ b. 23 February 1943, d. 9 August 1973