Washington Lafayette Watkins
M, b. 10 January 1824
Washington Lafayette Watkins|b. 10 Jan 1824|p8557.htm|Stephen Dupuy Watkins|b. 27 Jan 1788\nd. 13 Jul 1862|p10052.htm|Sarah Holman Dupuy|b. 26 Jan 1800\nd. 14 Aug 1864|p10053.htm|Thomas Watkins|b. 1748\nd. 1816|p10060.htm|Magdeline Dupuy|b. c 1753\nd. b 1815|p10061.htm|Peter Dupuy|b. 1768\nd. c 1852|p10054.htm|Margaret Martin||p10048.htm|
- Father: Stephen Dupuy Watkins b. 27 January 1788, d. 13 July 1862
- Mother: Sarah Holman Dupuy b. 26 January 1800, d. 14 August 1864
- Washington Lafayette Watkins was born on 10 January 1824 in Virginia.
- In about 1846, W. L. Watkins was a Senior at William and Mary College, having entered at the age of nineteen.
- He married Maria Hall, daughter of John Byrd Hall and Harriet Stringfellow, on 10 June 1851.
- Washington Lafayette Watkins became a widower at the 21 September 1864 death of his wife Maria Hall.
- He married Eliza Stringfellow, daughter of Horace Stringfellow and Louisa Gibbs Strother, on 9 October 1866; Eliza was a first cousin of W. L. Watkins' first wife Maria..
- Washington Lafayette Watkins and Eliza Stringfellow appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1870 in Petersburg, Virginia, and two female domestic servants.. Other members of the household included Thomas Gholson Watkins, John Dupuy Watkins and Sallie Harrison Watkins.
- He was a lawyer and trustee of the T. D. Watson Estate, according to the 1870 census.
- Washington Lafayette Watkins and Eliza Stringfellow appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in Petersburg, Virginia, and a cook and one other female house servant.. Other members of the household included Thomas Gholson Watkins, John Dupuy Watkins and Sallie Harrison Watkins.
- He was a lawyer, according to the 1880 census.
- The following appeared on 9 February 1919 in The Montgomery Advertiser: Mrs. W. L. Watkins and Mr. John D. Watkins of Petersburg, Va., and Mrs. Fletcher Monette of Greensboro are the guests of Mrs. M. L. Wood on Church Street.
- Last Edited: 8 Nov 2011
Family 1: Maria Hall b. 4 June 1833, d. 21 September 1864
- Thomas Gholson Watkins b. 17 June 1852, d. 13 March 1918
- John Dupuy Watkins b. 17 July 1854
- Anna Martin Watkins b. 1856, d. 1857
- Harriet Hall Watkins b. 1858, d. 1859
- Sallie Harrison Watkins+ b. 7 August 1860, d. 20 June 1921
- Alverda Hall Watkins b. 1862, d. 1864
- Maria Hall Watkins b. 1864, d. 1865
Family 2: Eliza Stringfellow b. 19 September 1845, d. 27 February 1933